Baños - Cuenca


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
May 7th 2010
Published: May 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Towards the border, last stops: Baños and Cuenca



Baños has officially been by favourite city in Ecuador - mainly because it was the first place I actually felt safe to walk around in on my own ...AND AT NIGHT AS WELL! (only one block but it´s still an achievement!)

Baños was a place I could have easily stayed in for longer, it had great restaurants where people serenaded you while you ate, all the adventure sports under the sun, local markets, thermal springs - the lot!
And best of all...it had a laundry service in the hotel! Heaven!
First night we lounged around in the hammocks before going out for what our tour guide Manuel recommended as the best steak in Ecuador. Couldn't pass up food like that after living on lentils and rice in the jungle...
The next morning we were up at 8 crunching on desayuno tipica for $2! 2 fried eggs, coffee, bread and fresh juice...good breakfast if you ask me! Then it was off for white water rafting!
We had a crazy raft leader who actually got distracted by pointing at some birds...and then steered us over a huge rapid, later saying ´oops, sorry, didn´t see that rock!´ not quite what you want to hear!
As if that wasnt enough when we returned we decided that jumping off a 100m bridge attached to a rope (note NOT a bungee!) would be a good way to end the day!
I have honestly never felt so alive in my entire life...as when I´m potentially plunging into a 100m drop to river and rocks. Talk about adrenaline.
Me and Jo watched as Matt and Sean both did it - showing off their dare devil spirits. Then watched as Shirley (who is 62 years old!) limply fell off after them. She was amazing, she didnt even think twice. As she said she always regretted not bungee-ing in New Zealand. Well i suppose this was a pretty good alternative.
Then it was us. We were the last of the 5 to go. The men strapped us up and told us that it was better to really jump far off the bridge as opposed to letting yourself fall as that could hurt a bit. Something in my body just doesnt agree with flinging itself into thin air ....
However, I talked Jo into it (as before the trip she had no
Bridge Jumping!Bridge Jumping!Bridge Jumping!

This is the 100m bridge we jumped off!
intention whatsoever about throwing herself off a bridge...quite rightly!) and before we knew it we had our harnesses on and we were being helped onto a tiny platform dangling over the bridge. Then men counted to three and we jumped.
It was a blur. I remember free falling for a couple of seconds, not looking down, feeling the wind fill my mouth and my eyelids. Then without warning you hit the end of your rope and are somosaulted round and left to swing over the river! It was awesome! I remember screaming I LOVE ECUADOR when we were swinging from side to side, but that´s about it!

Then off for a quick massage (only like $15 dollars! not bad) and out for good food and thermal, volcanic hot springs later. Hence the name Baños...meaning ´baths´ 😊

The next day we headed to Cuenca which is a lovely old city, full of beautiful churches and lots of hippies! I bought some token purple trousers...
We also tried the local dish of Peru (but apparently the Ecuadorians do a pretty good job at it too!)...which was Guinea Pig for lunch! Surprisingly tasty!
Then headed to the Panama hat factory where
Manuel and our dinner friends!Manuel and our dinner friends!Manuel and our dinner friends!

Our great tour leader Manuel felt the need to join in with the locals who serenaded us at dinner!
they gave us a free shot of Pisco before showing us how they make the panama hats...and that they were actually born right in this city and not actually Panama!

It is our final night in Ecuador...tomorrow we brave immigration on the border of Peru, before arriving in the beautiful beaches of Mancora. I cant wait.
It's a shame to be leaving Ecuador as it´s the country Jo and I will have spent the longest time in. We have really got a feel for the country as a whole, and have been lucky enough to visit so many places to compare between. It will be interesting to see how Peru differs.

That´s all for now mis amigos
Buenos noches x



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Guinea pig...cooking!Guinea pig...cooking!
Guinea pig...cooking!

Our lunch in preparation...


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb