Cotopaxi and Baños


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
December 3rd 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mercado Saquasilli Mercado Saquasilli Mercado Saquasilli

This photo was taken at one of the best and most important indigenous markets in Ecuador. This market is only open on Thursdays and attracks people from all over. It is not touristy at all and most of the people selling goods only speak Quechua, the native language here.
Hello Everyone! Been super busy since the last blog. Still taking Spanish classes with my last day on Wednesday, then it is off to the Galapagos!!
Last weekend, went to a the town and national park, Cotopaxi, followed by the city, Baños. Cotopaxi is a beautiful mountain, (when it is not overcast), with a beautiful national park at it´s base. It is about 2 hours from Quito and I went with an Australian girl named Josie and a German woman named Petra. Cotopaxi is definitely a tourist attraction but we were some of the only people there! It is the off season and incredibly cold, so I think that could be the primary reasons that we had the park to ourselves. Also, it is a tad tricky to get to. The bus drops you off on the side of the Pan American Highway and then you find some Ecuadorian with a private vehicle to drive you into the park. We lucked out and found someone that guided us through the whole park for the day, ($20, unofficial guide), and who knew all about the flora and fauna in the area.

Next stop was Baños, a town with a name that
An Orchid for AntheaAn Orchid for AntheaAn Orchid for Anthea

Anthea is the orchid queen of SF, so this photo is for her. It is taken from the botanical garden in Parque Carolina in Quito.
says it all. Baños is directly under an active volcano and people flock here to hang out in the many thermal pools here. About 99% of the tourists in Baños over the weekend were Ecuadorians! They absolutely love the thermal baths. Tons of stuff to do during the day too. You can go to see the many waterfalls in the town, hike, swim, rent horses or four wheelers (see pictures!), bungee jump, para glide and more. We had a ball with a view of one of the waterfalls and the beautiful lush mountains right out of our hostel window. The active volcano made noise the whole time we were there and sometimes, when it rumbled, the force opened all of the windows in the hostel that were unlocked. Really cool, but sort of scary at the same time. I guess living in a town directly under a volcano is sort of like living in SF with all of the earthquakes....more or less.

The pictures will explain a few other note worthy attractions, so please, check them out!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the blog. If you get a chance, shoot me an email to let me know how you are doing too!


Love,
Cassandra




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Mote for SaleMote for Sale
Mote for Sale

Tons of ready to eat food at the Saquasilli Market.
Josie, Petra and IJosie, Petra and I
Josie, Petra and I

At Cotopaxi National Park
CotopaxiCotopaxi
Cotopaxi

No visability at all! I took this picture than bounced right back in the car. It was freezing!
The topThe top
The top

Our Cuadrones took us to the highest part that we could get to on this mountain. It is good to make friends that as dorky as you so you can take these sorts of pictures.
Green HillsGreen Hills
Green Hills

Taking the bus out of Quito, all I seem to see are these beautiful green lush hills with little farms scattered throughout.
More Cuy on the GrillMore Cuy on the Grill
More Cuy on the Grill

I couldn´t help it! This one had it´s mouth open.
Middle of the WorldMiddle of the World
Middle of the World

Marcos (a friend of my Ecua Family), Eulalia (my Ecua mom) and I straddling the ecuador.
Middle of the WorldMiddle of the World
Middle of the World

I had to do it. I am here. I went to the most touristy place you can possible go here, the ¨Mital del Mundo.¨ I balanced this egg on a nail, (you can do that on the ecuador), and got a certificate for it. Yay.


6th December 2007

Hi Cassandra....... It looks like you are having the time of your life. I am soooooo jealous. To be (let's just 40+ years younger). Totally enjoy...Loved having your Dad and Rose for Thanksgiving. Do have soo Much Fun when and your darling sister hook up. Miss You and Love You....Old Auntie Ann
6th December 2007

Great E-mail
Hi Cassandra, Cotopaxi Park sounded like a exciting place to go and you were able to have a guided tour for $20. Sounds like a good deal to me.The town of Banos with all of the excitment of the volcano must of been something else. We have loved your e-mails and your pictures. You have taken some great shots. Keep them coming. Jim and I want to go to South America someday. I am so glad you are traveling now and having such a great time. Continue learning about the country and seeing so much. I hope you get to go to the Gallapos Islands. Enjoy each day and we love you. Madelene and Jim

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb