Banos - Gateway to the South


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
December 16th 2006
Published: December 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Banos

Accommodation for Banos is on private property 30 minutes drive outside of Banos. This hostel is owned an operated by our host Mel´s boyfriend Franko. Having not seen each other since the start of the trip, she was in a great mood and left us to our own devices for much of the time. Franko was also our host for Cannoning.

Banos Celebrations
Like when I arrived in Quito, Banos was on the last night of its annual celebrations. The town held a street festival, completed with a parade of marching bands and floats. The evening tho was spent drinking and dancing in the streets with locals and foreigners alike. It was voted that this combination certainly improved everybody’s Salsa dancing.

Cannoning
With a sleepin post last nights dancing well deserved, 6 of the gang signed up for abseiling, down a set of waterfalls close by. Suited up in wetsuits, helmets, cannoning belts (or nappies) we were trained on the basics of abseiling. Franko and helper Carlos navigated us safely though a set of waterfalls, slippery rock faces and bottom 1st drops into the chilly river. We all had a great time, the smiles in the photo’s backup this claim.

Quad Biking
Lucy and I signed up for this activity, and headed up in altitude to get some great photos of the nearby volcano and town below. Warned of the dangers of quad biking we proceeded with caution through the town and upwards. Through the 8km of winding road, we stopped for many photo stops, avoided various vehicles, cows and locals on horse back until we reached the maximum height. Enjoyed the views and took some more snaps to then descend back to the valley floor. Unfortunately, not all went as planned on the decent, call it overconfidence, call it stupidity, but your intrepid traveller managed to screw up completely, crashing the quad bike into the side of the mountain. To my rescue, came Lucy, who managed to get us back to town, find our driver Phil, who then helped us return the bikes, and get the necessary medical attention for myself. End result, 6 stiches in a rather bruised and swollen right leg with some gravel/rock rash on other various parts of me and not too much booze for a week until the course of drugs are completed. Lucky for me, it was relatively minor, and I have enough time before the Inca trail hike for a good recovery. Lucky, lucky, stupid me, oh well, moving on…

The next day we all got up early for 10 hour truck ride to Cuenca…



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Making ToffeeMaking Toffee
Making Toffee

Local Speciality
The Tents come out of the truckThe Tents come out of the truck
The Tents come out of the truck

With overhead shelter, is this really camping?
The Card TableThe Card Table
The Card Table

The gang got to know each other a little better with a game called Who´s most likely too...
Quad BikingQuad Biking
Quad Biking

All smiles so far...
Quad BikingQuad Biking
Quad Biking

The reward... Banos below
Quad Biking - The VolcanoQuad Biking - The Volcano
Quad Biking - The Volcano

Can´t control the weather
Quad Biking - The VolcanoQuad Biking - The Volcano
Quad Biking - The Volcano

Lava flow from July of this year.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb