Over the barricades


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
November 18th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Typical squareTypical squareTypical square

Cuenca has many colonial features. This is at the Plaza de San Sebastian, just around the corner from the hotel
Well, Banos was a very good stop, except that it proved a bit tough to get out again on Wednesday. Not the volcano this time, but a dispute between shopkeepers and the govt over compensation- Ecuadorians are boycotting the place because of the danger of the volcano. The Ecuadorian waitors came up trumps, and a friend of one got us to the barricades set up by the locals. It was easy then to walk through, and then over the lava field (what fun) but this time no white knuckle ride, just a stroll! over another couple of barricades and then the buses, handily waiting.

By noon we are at our next stop, Riobamba. A smallish town, full of very colourfully dressed people. I don't know why they were all in town, as they probably live out in the countryside. Unforrtunately the train we had hoped to get on the following day wasn´t running- it would have been a great ride down through the high sierras, so we got the bus instead.

So here we are in Cuenca, in the south. A lovely colonial town, looking quite rich and a real buzz. Much warrner here as we´re nearly at sea
The barricades at BanosThe barricades at BanosThe barricades at Banos

Good to get through the barricades of burning tyres, but not as dangerous at it looks. The volcano is slightly visible under the clouds.
level, so a pleasant temp to walk around. The hotel is the Posda del Angel. very colonial and as usual a welcoming place. Today´s a rest day, strolling around - churches, museums, strolls etc. Hard to believe it´s only one week since we arived, so many experiences already. A great country .


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cafe in CuencaCafe in Cuenca
Cafe in Cuenca

Lots of atmospheric cafes. I recommend El Cafecito's passion fruit pie (two for the price of one on Mondays!)
Scene in CuencaScene in Cuenca
Scene in Cuenca

Under the arches of the new cathedral(Catedral Nueva) in central Cuenca
CampesinoCampesino
Campesino

On the bus to Cuenca, we passed throught many towns and villages. This is just one shot from the bus.
SchoolgirlsSchoolgirls
Schoolgirls

At 1 o'clock children are on their way home. Extraordinary how they all wear school uniform, often identical to those seen in England.
Posada del AngelPosada del Angel
Posada del Angel

A colonial building, now a hotel. Mainly gringos there at the moment. We´ve come across lots of Australians,and assorted Europeans on our travels, but not many Americans,


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb