Medellin


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia
February 25th 2016
Published: March 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

So I felt it was needed to do a short blog on this city! As I feel like I've lived here.....

Unfortunately on arrival to Medellin I became really ill. After 10 days of feeling unwell Matt decided it would be good to see a Dr. So after tests she confirmed on my birthday that I had had Zika!! Well I had the symptoms anyway. If you are interested in what the symptoms are i'll tell you: sore eyes, rash, aching muscles, diarrhoea, fever, lack of breath, headache and feeling sick. So if you have any of those symptoms whilst away for a long period of time, get yourself double checked.

So my time in Medellin..... Medellin has a cable car system. This was built to enable the people in the hills to get to work and educational institutions. We took a trip on the San Antonio route. It goes pretty high, It was very interesting to take a walk around the area. So many houses on top of each other and strong smells of sewage. I couldn't believe how many people were living in the area.

Medellin also has a museum called the memory museum. This is to remember the conflict in the country. It's extremely eye opening to watch the accounts and images of what has happened in this country over the years. All I can say is Colombia has come a long way . You will see a lot of security on the street but I feel safer then certain streets of London.

The cinema here is brilliant. On a Wednesday you can view a movie for 1 pound! So we have made good use of this. Although it was pretty scary the other day when we came out the cinema screen to see two security holding fully loaded rifles ready to fire......Guess it's exciting though too!

Of course the Colombians are huge on football. One Sunday evening we watched Medellin vs Cali. The crowed were chanting, singing, playing musical instruments and waving flags throughout. It was a great atmosphere. The stadium also has a spectacular view of the mountains. For 6 pound for a great seat, it's definitely worth a visit.

Surrounding Medellin are some beautiful areas. One of these we visited for my birthday. A place called Guatape. Amazing little town, beautiful scenery. In Guatape you can climb a gigantic volcanic rock which overlooks the lake and surrounding area. ANother good thing about Guatape is it has an Indian restaurant run by a real Indian guy! This is hard to find in Latin America. First good curry in ages - what a birthday treat 😉!

We also visited a place called San Rafael. If you are in this area I totally recommend here! Wow just wow the scenery is incredible. Rolling green hills, clear lakes, waterfalls, monkeys and full of nature as you are in a kind of jungle. We stayed at a place called Ritmo del Rio, which is till in the process of being built. But if you can do stay here, it's amazing and great home cooked food 😊.

We are now working on a yoga farm so that will be my next update.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb