Don't mind the news Mum, I'm off to Colombia!


Advertisement
South America » Colombia
April 18th 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Colombia has long been reputed as one of the most violent countries on earth. Where great coffee, left-wing guerrilla groups, drug barons, syndicated crime and kidnaps are rife. Where back in 2000, two crazy English backpackers were kidnapped attempting to cross the Darien Gap from Panama to Colombia and held hostage by FARC guerrillas. Where in 2003, one Brit and four Israeli backpackers we... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Don Elias Finca, SalentoDon Elias Finca, Salento
Don Elias Finca, Salento

Don’s irresistibly precocious grandson joins us for the tour and we learn about the entire coffee making process, from plant to pot.
Valle del CocoraValle del Cocora
Valle del Cocora

Horses are available for rent, but Trish and I are geared up for the exercise and set off following Quindío river.
Valle del CocoraValle del Cocora
Valle del Cocora

We’ve been told there’s a 10km walking trail through farmland, rainforest and valley which is safe for tourists and not too strenuous.
Local Nina, Valle de CorcoraLocal Nina, Valle de Corcora
Local Nina, Valle de Corcora

The little daughter is fascinated by us gringo’s and begs us to try the vegemite, least we get accused of child abuse, we offer her sweets instead!
Palma de Cera Palma de Cera
Palma de Cera

Valle del Cocora
CartagenaCartagena
Cartagena

The city is surrounded by old forts that once protected the city from pirates and buccaneers.
CartagenaCartagena
Cartagena

It’s extremely beautiful - cobbled streets pass antique doors, grandiose homes with elaborate tiles and large open balconies with brightly coloured bougainvillea.
Casa Relax, CartagenaCasa Relax, Cartagena
Casa Relax, Cartagena

After the refrigerated chill of the bus, we’re overcome by heat and immediately decide that the hotel featuring pool is probably the only option.
TagangaTaganga
Taganga

A place where at the end of the day, all backpackers and locals turn their plastic chairs to face the little bay, sweating cold beers in hand, to watch the sun drop behind the horizon and the sky turn a marvellous fiery pink.



22nd October 2008

Annoying
Are you too full of yourself or is it me being over-sensitive about bragging and boasting? Colombia is a normal country, not an adventure or as you like to put it; a challenging destination. So get off your horse(not your face) and get back to your mum.
22nd October 2008

Amused
Hi Cockholster - I look forward to reading your blog on Columbia then! Though, seems you don't have the gumption to provide a link to your blog ... E
22nd October 2008

Fascinating
Thank you so much for writing about your experiences so enthusiastically and positively! Hooked on Africa, I'd been toying with the idea of adding Colombia into a possible future South American tour, but had been stalled a little by the negative press, but you remind me that there is so much more to every country than the only-bad-news-is-good-news headlines in the western press. Carry on having fun!
22nd October 2008

''...is it me being over-sensitive about bragging and boasting?'' Yes, I think it is. Mel
23rd October 2008

Great read - thanks :-)
23rd October 2008

Ignorant
I believe the correct spelling is Colombia. Also, the last I checked, Brazil's population was reaching 200 million, hardly making Colombia the largest country in South America.
23rd October 2008

good on ya
another bloody good yarn there El. It sounds like u r keepen on keepen on. Sounds like the coffee parts were good, not quite sure how u did it with out the wisdom and insight i gave in mexico but well done. Keep em coming
23rd October 2008

Thanks
Fair call.
23rd October 2008

Great read about a country i have simply ruled out in the past through the fear of it being too dangerous. Nice to see a pic with you guys still together from the Ragga tour Belize. I am sorry to say i've been stuck behind my desk back in the UK since that time.. Boo!!
23rd October 2008

Great journal! I think this just might have convinced me to add Colombia to my South America trip. Thanks!
23rd October 2008

Great piece there El, some of the other ballbags on this forum must have nothing else to do with their time rather than lambast ye for turning out a sterling article, Cockholster yer a knob! Makes me wonder if the cock ever gets out of it's holster or does it stay sheathed while you sit up late at night on your computer??
30th October 2009

The dude that wrote criticizing this girl's blog must be a Venezuelan who are known to sabotage blogs about Colombia and write negative stuff on Youtube, just because they're so used to looking down on their neighbors to validate themselves. It's her experience how dare this loser make a comment like that?

Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 21; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb