Medellin: Ciudad de Botero, zonas verdes, gente acogador y mucho mas!


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin
June 17th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Although our flight was brutally early......i.e. at 6 in the morning, I was really excited to travel to Medellin as we were going to be staying with a cousin of a good friend of mine.

We ended up meeting up with Nico (the cousin) at at around midday and spent the day having traigos (drinks) with some of his parseros (friends).....and mainly learning to speak like people from Medellin! I guess every city has its own slang, and one of the best parts about getting to stay with Nico and hanging out with people from the city was to get a better feel of the culture. After eating dinner in Provencia (an nice area filled with restaurants and bars) we heading back to Nico's place which is a farm in the mountains about a half hour from Medellin. However, when we got to the the road leading to his home was closed as it was under construction, so we ended up hiking up the hill about 1 km with our backpacks. The trek was definitely worth it, because at the top was a beautiful view which was priceless!

The next day we slept-in and had a nice breakfast before heading into town to explore the city of Medellin. As Colombia is one of the world's largest exporters of flowers, we decided to start with the botanical gardens. There was quite a variety of flowers from orchids to birds of paridise, which were all really colourful and flourish in this tropical climate! We also decided to eat at the restaurant in the gardens which was really good....I had a fillet of fish with a coconut sauce which was delicious! After eating we took the subway (Medellin is the only city in Colombia with a subway system and it is really proud of it!) and we went to the Parque Berrio. The park is filled with sculptures from Bottero who originates from the city. He is best known for his proportionally exaggerated/"fat" figures, as you can see from the photos I have attached! I really enjoy his art, because it is playful and not too serious. After this we went and had some beers with Nico's parents and then went to dinner at a nice Italian Bistro before heading back to the farm!

Today, we packed our bags and took it easy as this afternoon we are heading out to Manizales so we can take a coffee tour tomorrow!





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb