Fruits that you've never heard of


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Los Llanos
May 30th 2014
Published: June 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Here is a quick summary of the kinds of fruits I've been eating here (all day every day) besides the regulars like bananas, apples and pears.

Guama - It looks like a really long skinny cucumber, but on the inside it looks like a banana sliced up with lucky beans inside of it. It tastes like marshmallows, it's really good



Guanabana - it's green and spiky on the outside, but it tastes so freaking good, like candy. It's really sweet and it tastes delicious when you make juice out of it, but I don't really know how to describe the taste. It's kind of annoying to eat because you have to take out all the seeds and it can get messy, but it's definitely worth it.



Mango Dulce - It's everything you love about mangoes only sweeter and you can eat the skin



Uchuva - Orange grape looking things that have a very acidic taste, but are really good. It's hard to describe their taste too



Lulo - I've never actually had this fruit, but the juice is really popular. It's like if you mixed grape juice with something similar to orange juice but took out all the extra sugar that would make that taste nasty. It's also really delicious

Araza - It's also an acidic fruit that looks kind of like a pear if a pear was shaped like a funny looking apple. It's also pretty acidic, but when you mix it with milk, it's fantastic.

Maracuya - I think this is passion fruit in english, maybe, but it's fantastic in juice and as a mixer, way better than orange juice for your screwdrivers!! It's a bright orange and it's delicious. It tastes kind of like orange juice, if orange juice tasted also like love. I'll find a better descriptor when I find pictures to accompany these descriptions.

Pera boyacense - these are pears but from the state of Boyaca, they are bigger, juicier and sweeter than the regular pears. The only thing I don't like about them is the skin, it almost has a potato-like quality which disguises how delicious it is on the inside.

Plantains - I know you can get these in the US, but I love plantains. A day without plantains here is a sad day indeed. You can make any meal better by adding plantains. It can be for breakfast, lunch or dinner, I have yet to find something that plantains don't go with. They can be sweet, salty, soft, hard, crunchy, I could go on, I could be the Bubba of Platains, literally - I love plantains.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.6kb