Cartagena


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
January 15th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After hearing from more than a few folks that it wasn´t a good idea to cross the border into Colombia via bus or anything else touching the ground..we decided to fly into Cartagena....a short little flight all of an hour...and trust me, when they price the tickets..they know you have few option..ouch!! We managed to arrive in Old Town Cartagena, surrounded by huge cement walls, complete with mounted cannons...this city is magnificent. The architecture and homes inside were amazing and we had former drug czar Pablo Escabar´s vacation home and Julio Englesis summer home near by. All the architecure was lit up at night with glowing lights illuminating the designs. We enjoyed $1 beers until late in evenings. The narrow cobblestone streets echo the horse drawn carriages ferrying vacationing south american families around.. it´s a safe haven within these walls as it´s impossible to miss the heavily armed police scanning the scene on street. The people are so proud of this city and rightfully so, the general feel is festive, the cuisine..finally terrific, and fashion was front and center. We landed a great but humble place on the 2nd floor of a bustling street corner. Each morning we awoke to a gentle breeze through the room and street vendors pedaling that days fresh crop of mango,pineapple, kiwi, grapes and guava. we had the luxary of a balcony overlooking the crowded morning foot traffic..everyone anxious to get the fresh baked goods that are in seemingly every other store front. our top connection and info guy was a young lad from outside the city...he sold tours, hotel accomodations, and nearly every drug you can imagine. honestly, i didn´t even know how to turn down half of the substances offered...quite a salesman...but i managed Mom. We took full advantage of the evenings since we had a little cabin fever after panama. we were lucky enough to catch the visiting montreal symphony, part of the city´s international music festival. One quick funny for you.... Emo and I got the urge to exercise a bit and found a gym close by..i´m sure you can picture the one. Posters lining the walls from early 80´s..complete with olivia newton john in legwarmers...classic. well, once they caught a glimpse of emo and noticed how a women knew her way around a gym (not typical here) ..i thought they were going to bring in bleacher seating for the town. we were the lone people in there on rusty old benches, trying to pull on cables that were greased maybe a decade ago and a standing room only audience at the door catching each and every one of emo´s reps..too funny!! Don´t listen to anyone putting down Columbia..this is a must see place for anyone visiting south america...loved it!!

a nice man filled us in a on a must-see ocean town four hours away so after a few days...we were again bording a bus for beautiful SANTA MARTA!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



8th February 2007

Wow!
Wow! Colombia looks fantastic! Hopefully Charlie and I will make it there one of these days. I've been enjoying your travel blog so much! Its a nice break from the daily grind. We miss you guys!
8th February 2007

Cartagena
What a cute lil town! Love it! Besos.
8th February 2007

Jealous
Looks like heaven. Reminds me of how I spend my days.... opps I woke up! Love ya, take care Team O
9th February 2007

Baja Mexico Cruise...
Today, I booked a three day cruise departing Los Angeles on April 13. I will be on Carnival Paradise, cruising to Baja Mexico. Joe W.
9th February 2007

Santa Marta & Tyrona Park
Yes, Cartagena is awesome...I rember a chiva and a great beach party. I am sure you are on your way to Tyrona Park, also a must see. If they say the park is "closed" find a way in to the hammock and mango paradise by the sea.
26th February 2007

is very good
I`m very happy for your, my country is beautifull, and I want that you are very well today in Colombia and other country.
18th March 2007

my sides hurt from laughing
Oh goodness, you two are funny. I loved the story. Shane, are you trying to kill your mom? Just say no to drugs. Oh and stay away from the statue....she is too big for you.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb