Panama City


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama City
January 10th 2007
Published: January 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

i am not sure what i was expecting when i arrived in panama city...maybe more miami and less new jersey. natural climate makes it a beautiful place but an obvious lack of concern for nature has damaged its appeal. wow...those feeling were obviously sitting on my chest for a while. whew!! We were bent on finding the good in this city and not to bash...but it was a hunt. Erin attempted a little jog in the morning to make it a half block before returning to the room announcing we may be in the wrong area. Knowing the power in numbers, we tackled the streets with a knife this time and our eyes scanning the changing scenery. Exiting a street cafe,a gold toothed little man approached with enthusiasm...okay maybe it was the booze on his breath..to help us navigate our excursion. There are a few random kooks one meets in ones life and never forgets....yep, he Rocky made the distinguished list. With few options, we followed him around the city...every dark, stinky, corner of it and did find the attributes we were looking for eventually. The presidential palace, revolution monuments and restored homes of past days were well worth the sketchy moments via whore houses, drug dealers and shack strewn streets. His tales of missed baseball stardom and worldwide amigos filled the time and we found ourselves in his familias casa. As luck would have it, it was a holiday and cervezas were nowhere to be found or bought. Erin and I felt like stray dogs brought home for the 3rd time that week by the deviant child of the house. We sat in the living room patching together conversation with our limited spanish and buying beer..yes, buying beer from their fridge. Rocky...we will never forget you...ya little kook. One meal deserves mention in this blog... Erin thought she would splurge on some giant prawns...why not?..we are on the water!! I should have known something was up when she was so open in offering a big beautiful prawn.... moments later the taste lingered in my mouth, confusing me with its origin..hmm.. Yes, i have it... the same smell of fecal matter that fills your nostrils around the beaches. Erin left the restaurant head down and defeated. We both returned to our usual order of pollo a la plancha...grilled chicken. Following day zipped us out to the panama canal...the sheer size and magnitude of this daily operation is astonishing!! Each boat that goes through hits 3 sets of lockes and elevators. We were lucky enough to watch the entire process with a passing ship...amazing. I will say, there were two times we felt completely safe in this city...standing outside TGIF's and next to a group of cops sittin atop motorcycles, strapped with uzi machine guns an riot gear. I personally think this should all be standard gear issued at the airport. kidding....kinda sorta.











Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



25th January 2007

Panama
So, not a big fan of Panama, uh? I can't believe Rocky made you guys buy beer from his fridge. Hilarious! Can't wait for the next blog ;) Te extraño!
25th January 2007

Panama
So, not a big fan of Panama, uh? The canal looks really cool but I don't know about that beach. I can't believe Rocky made you buy beers from his fridge. Hilarious! Can't wait for your next blog ;)
31st January 2007

Panama city - check
In and out of Panama city quickly - check. Thanks for the heads up, pollo ala plancha - its not alway great, but it is seldom ever inedible. Thanks for the real scoop.
1st February 2007

Panama
Shane i enjoy your blog and pictures you and Erin look good. Looks like your having fun and be careful Love Dad
20th April 2007

Tried the prawns..whew!
With some trepidation, I wandered over to a street cafe and had some grilled camarones. I should trust my brother but figured that something so close to the Panama Marriott wouldn't make me run...or give me the runs. Luckily, the little guys still had their heads attached and the poop vein that was fully packed and present was the only poop I saw that night. I've got a lay over here again this Sunday and hope to make the canal. My goal is to get a photo in the same pose as you Shane where your in full salute! Miss you, Troy

Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb