Bogota...


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
August 29th 2012
Published: September 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

MonserrateMonserrateMonserrate

Located on the mountains surrounding Bogota
So here is a short summary of the past 3 weeks we spend in Bogota...



... well generally can be said that Bogotá is similar to any other big city. It has abot 8 million inhabitants, so it is huuuge and it takes ages to get anywhere by bus, taxi or walking.

We had split views on the city, Tatiana didnt like it very much, whereas I (Diana) did find it quite interesting. We were really lucky that we could stay with my close friend Caro. She hosted us for the entire time and we used the time to relax, before heading away again and being on the road, in hostels and buses for the next 9 months.

Bogota is a very big city, surrounded by mountains and a beautiful landscape. It is full of contrasts, you have the overcrowded roads with buses, many many many cabs, cars, motorcycles, scooters and... horses. Every sunday and holiday however, you have the "ciclovia" and all the main roads are closed between 7am and 2 pm, thats when all the people take out their bikes, skates, go jogging or for a walk. We love this "ciclovia" and think that every city should have such a day.

Bogota is divided into many cool parts... You can find many cool bars in the T-Zone, the "zona rosa" or the Park on 93rd. In the center you have something like "downtown" its called "La Candelaria": its a beautiful district and has all the museums close by. Bogota has more shopping centers than one can list...

What we did during the 3 weeks was mainly to relax 😊 ...especially as Bogotá is located quite high compared to what we are used to (it has an altitude of 2600m) it took us some time to acclimitize. We also went to a few museums, did some shopping, tried some local food (which we love) and wandered around the city.

Caro showed us on weekends some cool places to go out -on one night she organised a mini-van and got a group of people to go to a club in Chía, a town close by to Bogotá- so we had a driver and were a group of about 10 people and went to Andrés Carne de Res. The locals made us try some Aguardiente (some sambuca-tasting-liquor), we danced some salsa and listened to vallenato and alot of reggeaton. Every weekend we went to different places, clubs like Magnolia, Hotel V, some pubs including the BBC (Bogota Beer Company).

Again what´s so special about Colombia is how the people treat foreigners. We were countless times stopped on the streets while wandering around and told that we are getting close to a rather ugly neighborhood and we should change the streets, not hold our cameras openly and got a "safe travel"-goodbye 😊 When one looks lost you can be sure a Colombian will notice, come around and ask if you need help getting anywhere. We are in love with the country for different reasons...

We are now currently in Pereira, where we arrived a couple days ago, but we are making our way to Salento now...

will update you soon 😊

xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb