Work hard, play hard


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
April 18th 2011
Published: April 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Catedral de Sal - Zipaquira, Colombia



The Salt Cathedral is located about an hour north of Bogota in an old salt mine. It was created both as a tourist attraction and a place of worship for miners and Colombian people in general. Salt mines around the world are used for different purposes, for instance, in New York, one is used to store waste. In Louisianna, as a safe for valuables. In Colombia, true to the strong religious (mostly Catholic) devotion, they decided to construct a cathedral, making it a one of a kind attraction that will probably survive no more than 200 years. This is the second salt cathedral constructed in this place after the first one collapsed due to weather factors. The mine where the cathedral was built is about a mile deep, making the entire visit a 2 mile round-trip walk during which one can appreciate the architecture as well as the natural properties of the mine. Overall, it was a very interesting and informative trip! A one of a kind tourist attraction was a great way to start our trip!


Rumba!! - Hotel V, Bogota



El viernes nos fuimos de rumba! Andrew and I raged at Hotel V, a new Bar/Club in Bogota. We went out with my good friend Carolina, her cousin Lili, her boyfriend Niko and some of their friends. It was a crossover party, so they played various music styles including Salsa, Merengue, Reggaeton, Hip Hop and Techno. Andrew´s attempt to keep up with the dancing was remarkable and priceless! It was my frist time rumbeanto in Bogota and it was a total success! We went to sleep at 4am only to wake up at 7am for a 3 hour bus ride to Anapoima, Colombia.


Fundacion FACMIS - Anapoima, Colombia



FACMIS is a non-profit organization that provides shelter, education and care to children whose families have been displaced by the 50 year long civil war in our country and/or who have been victims of domestic violence. Some of the children have lost their families in the conflict or have been recruited into the revolutionary forces at very young ages (an internationally recognized war crime). Others have been physically and/or sexually abused, leaving deep scars and affecting their development. FACMIS seeks to bring the necessary care to these children in order pland a seed of hope in their lives and to break the cycle of poverty and violence they were victims of.

I have been involved with FACMIS for two years and the children continue to be an increadible source of inspiration. The fact that children who have been victims of such atrocities can exit that cycle and become educated, possitve minds is outstanding. Every child learns a musical instrument and participates in a chorus. Music is a powerful way to introduce children to the learning process and to awaken their curiosity. All children now have a full ride K-12 scholarship to a prestigious American bilingual school. FACMIS and those who support its cause, believe that a high-quality education, together with learning resources and the child´s individual effort are what will provide these children with an opportunity to grow and develop into professionals, thus breaking the cycle of poverty and violence.

The reality of the world we live in is very rough. Poverty and violence affect the majority of the population of the world. The worst part is that a lot, in not most, privileged people who are not affected by these factors, seem to ignore them and carry on with a blind eye to the world´s problems. This is my call to action. We have a moral obligation to help others in need. Those of us who have been privileged enough to receive an education and an opportunity to succeed, have an obligation to use our possitions of power, our means and our connections to help those in need and to provide them with the same opportunity we were given. FACMIS is a clear and indisputable example of the type or work that can be done and of the type of transformation that can be achieved with a little love and effort.

Manus Multae, Cor Unum - (Many hands, one heart). Lets put our hands together as we strive to help those in need and to create a better world. It is possible and we CAN make a difference if we work together!


Thank you for reading,

Juan Clavijo






Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb