The Mayor of Bogotá, Democracy and AC/DC


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
March 7th 2011
Published: March 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cascades of Bogotá’s signature rain bespattered the jalopy’s virtually opaque windshield as the vehicle powered up the hill to Nueva Esperanza. Crammed in the back seat next to two elderly women, I held on for dear life as the driver made a sharp turn at the next corner, sending a muddy spray towards an unlucky slumbering neighborhood dog.

“Aquí, por favor,” I said.

The vehicle came to an ungraceful halt. Grateful to still be counted among the living, I paid the driver and stepped out into the pouring rain.

When I looked up at Nueva Esperanza, the first thing I noticed was the enormous white tent that had been erected in the primary school’s courtyard. The second thing I noticed were the guns—lots of guns—being wielded by a contingent of Bogotá police and Colombian military personnel patrolling the area.

A military guard searched my bag and when he was satisfied I was not some kind of gringo assassin, allowed me to pass through the primary school’s gates. A lavish assortment of colorful balloons, streamers adorned the school’s interior. Within the tent was a massive stage with a large hanging banner that read, Bienvenidos—Colegio Nueva Esperanza: Educamos en el Respeto y Probidad.

I arrived just as Nueva Esperanza’s rector (principal) was finishing his opening remarks. Behind the rector sat Bogotá’s alcalde (mayor), Samuel Rojas, with his entourage of government officials and other misfits. A large seating area had been erected where students sat with their parents watching the rector speak.



Read the rest at my TravelBlog


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb