A Night Out in Bogotá


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
January 18th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the toughest things about being a tall gringo in Colombia is the fact that none of the buses are designed for passengers over six feet tall. Standing with my head awkwardly cocked to the side, I hunched to catch a peek of the passing Colombian countryside as the bus sped towards Bogotá (bo-go-tah). It was Saturday night and I was with a dozen other people from my program.

Our mission: to party it up, Bogotá style.

It took just over thirty minutes to take the country bus from Cota to the TransMilenio station on Bogotá’s outskirts. TransMilenio is Bogotá’s rapid mass transit system—picture BART or the D.C. Metro, except instead of subways and trains you have special lanes and buses. You wait at above-ground stations that feel like subway stations, buses arrive, doors open, you get in and off you go. It is surprisingly efficient and easy to use and is a much cheaper alternative to an expensive subway system.

We took TransMilenio to downtown Bogotá and walked to the hostel we planned to stay at. I was excited to have my first hostel experience.

We arrived at the hostel just after dark and were greeted by the hostel manager who was an American from Colorado. We signed in and went upstairs to check out our rooms, which were large and filled with several bunk beds. The manager told us that they sold beer for $2,000 pesos (about 80 cents) a bottle and had computers with free internet—music to our internet-deprived ears. Needless-to-say, we would capitalize on both offerings without inhibition.

Read the rest at my TravelBlog




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



1st February 2011

Colombia is a great country. We have a very rich and diverse culture. It is a modern city where you can find everything you would in any other touristic spot. Bogota has lots of museums, parks, and universities, thus it is called "The Athens of South America". Everyone is so welcome to come! Felicity- Bogota Hotels - Deals Corredor Turistico
7th February 2011

my favorite restaurant in my teens!!!!! :)

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb