Colombian Countryside


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Antioquia
March 25th 2009
Published: March 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Church in the SquareChurch in the SquareChurch in the Square

The whitwashed church which dominates the main square in Marinella is typical of the style of many of the churches in the small towns and villages of Antoquia.
Tuesday 24.03.'09 (continued)
Marinella is bustling, busy little town - one of the oldest in the area of Antioquia - centred around a lovely square which is surrounded with historic buildings, some dating back to the 18th century. The square is a great meeting place and it´s always lively with people coming and going or just sitting having a chat or coffee. The weather is slightly cooler here than in Medellin - quite high up. I see many of the men either carrying or wearing ponchos - a variety of styles and sizes. The number of others wearing jackets or pullovers is a sign of the cooler temperatures.
I went with Dan (from the hotel) to the police station to register the camera loss, but unfortunately it was closed - lunch time. Malena (manageress of the hotel) offered to drive me to Rio Negro ( a nearby large town) to shop for a new camera;she had to go there to do some shopping anyway. Dan also came along for the spin. After Malena had completed her shopping we went to Exito, a large multistore,and viewed a range before choosing one. The staff there were very helpful and set it up in
18th Centure Architure18th Centure Architure18th Centure Architure

Many of the buildings which surround the square are the original from the 18th century making Marinella one of the oldest towns in Antoquia and giving it a historic atmosphere.
English ready to use, before I left. We travelled further on through the delightful little village of San Antonio and had a late lunch in a restaurant which Malena knew a few kilometres outside the village. I had some steak (grilled over an open wood fire) which was delicious. We went back to the police station, but it had just closed for the day, so just had a stroll around the town and finished the day with a few beers in an unusual bar - a converted barn where they actually ride the horses down the middle of it. I find the people here very friendly and helpful.

Wednesday 25.03.09
The hotel is on a sidestreet off the main square and my bedroom has a balcony overlooking the street; I´m amazed at how busy the street is from dawn to after dark. After my usual breakfast (coffee and an arepa) at a nearby cafe, I had a stroll around town. When Dan´s up we´ll try the police station again. I plan to move on towards Bogota tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Transport comes in many formsTransport comes in many forms
Transport comes in many forms

The style, size, age and comfort of the buses available for transport varies considerably. This is one of the older, windowless, open-sided ones.
View from the BalconyView from the Balcony
View from the Balcony

Looking down the sidestreet from the balcony outside my bedroom.


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.11s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb