Santiago city tour


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
November 5th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Santa Lucia lookoutSanta Lucia lookoutSanta Lucia lookout

This hill is on the edge of the CBD and is one of the oldest parks in Santiago. It's 70m higher than its base. San Cristobal hill is the one with the masts.
Geo: -33.4373, -70.6387

After a fine breakfast, Francesca picked us up at 9am for our city tour: just the three of us and Emma, the driver. We visited two of the city's 27 hilltops, a craft centre, the central markets, the House of Government, the Pre-Columbian Art Museum, an upmarket shopping street and Barrio Italia. We had rides on the subway and a funicular, and a seafood lunch. Abalone is a common food here so we had some in empanadas (like a curry puff or samosas, with different fillings) and in a really rich seafood chowder/stew.

We got back to our hotel around 4:30pm and had a short nap before sampling the fine snacks on offer at the hotel's afternoon tea service. We had a quiet evening and Robyn enjoyed her Netflix shows, courtesy of the hotel's fast wi-fi.

Chile's eastern border is the Andes Mountain Range and the country's maximum width is only 350km (not including Easter Island, of course). North to south it is over 4,300km long! Population is about 20M (7M in Greater Santiago) and Chile is one of the most prosperous South American countries. It seems to have recovered from the US sanctions against the socialist Allende government of the
San Cristobal HillSan Cristobal HillSan Cristobal Hill

At 880m elevation (300m above the city) this is the second highest point in Santiago. At the top is large statue of the Virgin Mary and a small chapel where Pope John Paul prayed on his visit to the city in 1987. Statistically 2/3 of the population is Catholic, but Francesca says many are non-practicing.
70s and Pinochet's succeeding brutal right-wing dictatorship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

San Cristobal funicularSan Cristobal funicular
San Cristobal funicular

Near the bottom is a stop to access Chile's national zoo.
Los Dominicos Craft VillageLos Dominicos Craft Village
Los Dominicos Craft Village

A partial view of the pretty layout of 150 shops displaying local handicrafts. A wide range of lapis lazuli, leather, pottery, artworks, fabrics, etc.
Metro/SubwayMetro/Subway
Metro/Subway

Clean and efficient. Off-peak all rides cost 600 pesos, more in rush hour. Los Dominicos was the end of the line so the train was empty at first. It quickly filled up as we neared the city centre.
Santiago Central MarketSantiago Central Market
Santiago Central Market

Including the seafood market, and many restaurants.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb