Heading North-Stars, too cosy for comfort and Chilean hospitality.


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
February 29th 2012
Published: March 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

With hotand stunning Chile now far behind me and sitting in a rainy La Paz there is no better time to update on my travels.

After leaving Illapel travelled onto Ovalle a mining town. It isn't on the tourist trail and only had one hostel Jamie's Crazy House. It was somewhat crazy as it's not owned by Jamie but by Ceazar, a affable chap with no business mind at all, who appeared more lonely than anything.The place was basic and cheap and we were the only guests. Felt an earthquake tremor of 4.2 on the second night. Ceazar appeared more shaken by this than us in the morning.

The other event of ny stay in Ovalle was getting my hair cut. After months of attempting to grow it in the UK I finally had enough in the heat, also easier and cheaper to wash when short. Back to the old Layla with a smile and a confident bounce .

Next stop Vacuna arrived at the time of a carnival involving loud music and foam. Vacuna is famous for it's night sky consequently there are many observatories. Had a good look into space. Even without the very large telescope
Imagen 002Imagen 002Imagen 002

Haircut stage2
the milky way was beautiful to the naked eye. I felt somewhat boggled by the vastness of the galaxies, a dead star, the next possible super nova and seeing 2 million stars at once. Mars and Saturn were amazing!!! Mars is the red one right?

Due too it being high season and finding it difficult to find a bed Phil kindly shared his one man tent with me for one night until I got a room. A wee bit too cosy.

Visited a Pisco distillery Chile's signature beverage. Enjoyable and informative tour in English, however found the tasting too much like bad whisky for my liking. However Pisco mixers were another story. It is much better when it is made into a fruity cocktail type drink like a bicardi breezer.

Two bottles of fruity pisco, three bottles of beer later we had made friends with a fabulous Chilean couple and their young son. Excellent evenning of star gazing had by all adults.

Spending the next day in the Elqui Valley with Anita, Rudolf and Vincente was one of the highlights of my Chilean trip. Their kindness and laughs and attempts at English and my attempts at
Imagen 003Imagen 003Imagen 003

The new me (or the old me)
Spanish will not be forgotton. We all went to a river for a bbq (for the carnivores) and a salad lunch for myself. This was all paid for and prepared by our young Chilean friends. I also took a all but brief plunge and quick swim in the river.

Elqui is a place where Chileans also go on hols and the next day I spent a lively afternoon in a bar praciting my Spanish. Luis a 77 year old local spent a great deal of time attempting to woo me with poetry and song. None of which I understood. But being wooed is the same in any language.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Imagen 005Imagen 005
Imagen 005

Carnival
Imagen 012Imagen 012
Imagen 012

Chileans enjoying a lazy Sunday
Imagen 016Imagen 016
Imagen 016

Phils tent where we both managed to sleep
Imagen 019Imagen 019
Imagen 019

Capel distillery
Imagen 008Imagen 008
Imagen 008

More foam fun
Imagen 009Imagen 009
Imagen 009

barrels of pisco and me
Imagen 010Imagen 010
Imagen 010

after foam fun
Imagen 023Imagen 023
Imagen 023

Vincente on a very rickerty bridge
Imagen 028Imagen 028
Imagen 028

Rasta friend with bow and arrow
Imagen 024Imagen 024
Imagen 024

Me and Vincente on said bridge
Imagen 029Imagen 029
Imagen 029

The river bbq area
Imagen 026Imagen 026
Imagen 026

Anita, Rudolf, Phil and Vincente
Imagen 027Imagen 027
Imagen 027

Rudolf eating bbq


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb