Patagonia. Torres del Paine


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
February 24th 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We survived the ´W´!

This blog is being written from a nice warm hostel, where we slept in a an actual bed last night, bliss! We are both a little achy and tired, but then walking 90 km with a backpack and sleeping in a wind swept tent will do that to you. We have just completed the ´W´circuit around Torres Del Paine which is probably one of the most famous treks in South America, obviously after the Inka Trail. We covered the 90 kms in four days. The terrain is quite mixed, up to the main view points it is pretty hard going lots of ascents and descents, even steep descents didn´t turn out to be the easy ride we thought, as it is actually quite hard to to keep yourself steady with a backpack on. You have options of how to do the trek you can stay in refugios and get a dorm bed and have your meals cooked or be self sufficient. We opted to be self sufficient so that meant carrying all our camping gear and food, but it gave you a much better experience and alot more independence as you could choose when and where to stop for the night. Down sides were obviously you get a bit fed up of packet soup, rice and pasta to eat, and sleeping in a tiny tent on gravel when the wind is blowing 50km per hour and mice are scurrying around just outside by your head is not a good combination for a good nights rest! However enough of moaning it was a fab experience and the scenery was worth every single step!

The main highlights were Torres del Pan, Valle Frances and Grey´s Galcier, but on your way to each of these you are surrounded by 360 degrees of beautiful scenery. The lakes are beatuiful shades of blue, from turquise to electric, surrounded by snowy mountains and 3000m granite spires, pretty spectacular to see.

Torres del Pan was the first place we headed as we had a glorious day and the park is notorious for being hidden in clouds sometimes Torres De Pan can be hidden for days. After four hours of ascending we set up camp, and headed to Torres de Pan for sunset. We sat there for 2 hours just soaking up the incredible sight, it is a series of granite spires with three main ones jutting out of the mountain, above a small cloudy turquise lake which they reflect perfectly into. As the sun sets the spires slowly change colour as the different lights refect of them.

We then headed to Frances Valley which is glacial valley which carves the two mountains in half. You rock scramble up with a glacier on one side and rock spires on the other. As you are walking you can hear the river created by the run off from the glacier pounding through the valley intersperesed with the thundering crash of chunks falling off the glacier about every 30 minutes.

The last day we hiked up to Grey´s Glacier. The winds were so strong that they had blown icebergs away from the glacier so you could see them along the lake as you were ascending towards the glacier. The glacier was bigger than we both expected and probably bigger than the ones we saw in New Zealand. The glaciers empty into huge lakes in patagonia which makes them spectacular to look at. It was blowing a gale and freezing cold up near the glacier so we headed to lower ground at the far side of the park and waited for our lift back to the hostel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



26th February 2010

All you can eat buffet
I'm shocked that you've been to an all you can eat buffet Adam. Is that why you've gone to S. America, cos you've been banned from all of the UK ones?
28th February 2010

You can talk mate your the only person to be banned from a vegas hotel for buffet counting, most people try and fix the tables you just eat the one loaded with food
1st March 2010

Up to date!
Hey you two! Hope you're having a fab time! Ok, I'm up to date on your travels, just read your blog on S.America and it all looks and sounds amazing...though I'm knackered just reading what you have done! 90km on foot - I bet there's a few blisters!?!? Enjoy the rest of your travels and I'll keep checking in from time to time, can't believe another month has passed so quickly! You'll be back in Oz in no time! ha PS Lou, please can you let me know what happened to the book we got for Steve's Mum? She keeps asking us about it but my Mum said that you didn't manage to call round. If we need to pick it up from somewhere just let me know hun. Take care xx
4th March 2010

hello Mel I have sent you an email, speak soon
20th March 2010

Greetings from ground level!
Holy DooDoo! It looks amazing. I agree with you about the camping. DId you have a guide or did you DIY? Did you poke a toe in any of the lakes? Cant wait to hear about Colombia. Glad you are having fun! Miss you loads, and so does Charlie!

Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb