Cochrane and on


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
January 8th 2010
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A resting day in Cochran and some time to visit the park. The woman of the hospedaje El Rubio was very nice to dry my clothes. In the rooms it is mostly cold because the only place that is heated is mostly the kitchen. At breakfast a German friend of the house Uwe came stumbling in. He was surprised by a dam that broke in the mountains and which did rise the level of the Rio Baker. He could just jump in his boat and his tent was under water. He had bought a piec of terrain like more foreigners do here. His opinion was that it was safer in this part of the world. In case of trouble the atom bomb would not pass here. After this happy morning vision I visited the library to use the internet connection in the village. In the time I had to wait I took a book were even Dutch history was sampled. The Germans invaded the Netherlands in 1939 according to the book. Not totally accurate, i did not check the rest. Uwe did show me the way to the Park where I should find some Huemules, a kind of deer which are protected. A nice and helpfull Chilean guide did show me the way for my expedition of the afternoon. After one hour I saw my first Huemul. After a boatride bak on the lago Cohrane I cycled to the lago Esmeralda. Still 28km on a mostly sunny resting day.

Next day on to direction Lago Carrera General. First I had to find some spokes. During travel and controls my spokes were gone. They look sharp but I couldn´t make a whole in an airplane with it. I was not feeling at rest without so I hoped to find it in the one shop possible. A shop which sells cheese and wood cutting machines next to each other. A shop which you could find also in any smaller vllage in Holland but not any more. The man was glad to help. He was proud to say that he had also a ´Specialised´ bike. After a quarter of looking at all the spokes in the shop we could only find one who could match. So cross my fingers for the rest. Leaving Cochrane was a serious climb and another one followed. The wind was against me so my optimism of the mourning dropped in the river Baker.
I met Diego, a Spaniard from Florida on his first biking trip. Did not train. Bought a bike and went. A group of French with carts behind their very normal city bikes. Mother and Father also. It looked good but walking uphill was part of the work. Finally at 18.00 I arrived at the Hospedaje of Dona Ester in Puerto Bertrand. Stefan, a swiss boy from Luzern joined me for evening dinner and we had a nice evening with the house lady informing us about the region and some Spanish we did not understand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb