Puno, Taquile island


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we headed to Tuquile Island across lake Titicacca to see how the people of this island live and have lunch with them, we left the hotel by what I call chariot,a person drawn chariot, to the port, where we boarded a ferry and headed to the island, we walked for what seemed forever, still havent adjusted to the alttitude yet, sure makes you feel really unfit , considering how fit I am. the island is full of really cute kids all dressed up in colourful woolen clothing, one little girl saw me carrying a blue gatorade and just wanted it, she was so cute you just felt like taking her home, we had lunch at the top of the island, it was this amazing soup, kiru soup I think and fish from the lake and coca tea, this really helps adapt to the alttitude quickly.

The men of this island do all the knitting and the women do the work, and like our culture they live with each other before marrying the women usually gets pregnant and they must marry, if the marraige doesnt work they have to leave the island, when they get married the women own their husbands. one for the girls.

After lunch we proceeded to walk down again, 560 steps straight down, where we saw the locals carrying about 50kgs on their backs up the stairs, made us feel sooffftt...we caught our boat to go to Amantani Island and as we were travelling there, a storm came up and wrecked the boat, very scary, we had to transfer to another boat and wait the storm out, we were with another group so there was a decision to be made whether we travel to Taquile 45 mins or back to Puno 3 hrs, the other group headed back to Puno but we decided to push on to Amantani, lucky for us we just got there before a huge storm came through, dont know how the other group went, will find out when we do the Inca Trail with them in four days time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



11th July 2007

Lake Titicacca
Lake Titicacca is divided in half, one side Bolivia the other Peru, I left Puno which is in Chile to go to these islands and they are in the Chilien side of the Lake, so I believe that Chile is the correct Blog for these islands,
11th July 2007

Poncho
Penny, I thought you would like the poncho, as you had one as a little girl, I was waiting to find a better one in Cuzco the shopping mecca of Peru, do you want one If so I will pick one up for you..

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb