Summer vacatin, Part 5, Valdivia, Chile


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

After our tumultuous ferry ride back to the mainland from Chiloe and after reassuring Carlos that we are not going to die, we took the bus back to Puerto Montt. From their we headed to Valdivia, our last stop on our summer vacation.

Valdivia is located where the Calle-Calle, Valdivia and Cau-Cau Rivers join and was founded in 1555 by Pedro de Valdivia.

During the 19th century, to jump-start economic development, the Chilean government initiated an immigration program which forged strong ties with German. Thousands of Germans settled in this area and Validvia continues to have a very strong German influence from the architecture to the cuisine.

In 1960, Chile suffered the most powerful earthquake in modern history, a 9.5 magnitude, and Valdivia was only 10km from its epicenter. This destroyed a large portion of the city from the earthquake itself and the floods that followed. But Valdivia has rebuilt and is a thriving city now, with tourism and ship building as well as nearby plantations of eucalyptus and pines as its main economy.

It is referred as La Perla del Sur (The Pearl of the South) and as La ciudad mas linda de Chile (Chile's most beautiful city).

After almost 3 weeks of traveling, lots of bus hours logged, we then headed back to Santiago to rest!!! A wonderful vacation. I learned a lot about Chile, a lot about Carlos, and a lot about our relationship. I couldn´t have asked for more 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

A view of NieblaA view of Niebla
A view of Niebla

Niebla is a small town at the mouth of the Valdivia River, near Valdivia. It has the ruins of a Spanish colonnial fort and a museum.
CorralCorral
Corral

San Sebastián de la Cruz Fort in Corral at the southern side of Corral Bay was the headquarters of the coastal defences. It was built in 1645 by order of the viceroy Pedro Álvarez de Toledo y Leiva.


20th June 2007

Mi sueño realidad!
te acuerdas, cuando en octubre del 2006, te molestaba mucho con lo de tus futuras vacaciones, para mi era un sueño poder pasar mucho tiempo contigo, y gracias a dios, mi sueño se hizo realidad, cuando por fin pudimos estar muchoooooooo tiempo juntos, aprendimos mucho el uno del otro, pero lo mas importante, es que regresamos mas unidos que nunca, te agradesco todo lo que he vivido juntoa ti, te amo!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb