Chillin in Satinago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region
December 18th 2010
Published: December 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chillin in Santiago

We have as most you know already started our next adventure in South America. We didn't get around to writing a blog about our wedding in Mexico but it was amazing.

Jason and I flew into Lima Peru. Here we stayed at a really neat hostel that has tons of art work and statues throughout the place. We booked a flight down to Santiago for the next day after arriving as we had to meet Tina and Mike there who were flying in shortly after. So on our only night in Peru Jason and I decided to go out and have a Pisco Sour. This is a typical drink in Peru made with egg whites, pisco and various other ingredients. Unfortunately the waitress was gone before we asked the price and we were significantly over charged.

The hostel we are staying at in Santiago is very cool. The place was a mantion before. All the rooms have like 14ft ceiling and huge doors. The hostel has a couple of bars and a pool. The weather here has been gorgeous. Tina and Mike made it in ok as well.

Around Santiago we have done a couple of self guided excursions. On the first day we met up with Tina and Mike we went off to find marcado al central. After getting terribly lost walking for just under an hour we got back on track and took the subway to our destination. Little did we know this market only sells fish. Upon walking into the building we were surrounded by fish and shell fish. Poor Jason with his shell fish allergy felt like someone was pointing a gun to his head. As such we got recomended to go to another market near by for lunch. We got excellent sea food here for 1/4 of the price at the big market. After the market adventure we headed back to the hostel for some pool time and cheap vino. We were proud of only getting a little lost on the way back. The pool is amazing in the hot sun having a cold beer and when the sun starts to go down switching to vino tinto. A good bottle of red only costs a couple of dollars. Tina has had her first bunk bed dorm experience in this hostel. This has not been so positive for her as she was given the top bunk and fell during the middle of the night. Immediately followed by Mike falling off. Although i'm pretty sure Mike's fall was a very dis-graceful dismount.

Due to Christmas everything is booking up quickly so today we ventured out to get bus tickets. This involved more getting lost. But eventually we found it then set off to be real tourists and visited a fortress that over looks the city, some churches and a lot of statues. Although we never did find the one statue I was desperate to find.

Tomorrow we head to the cost. I'm excited to see the ocean and the atmosphere of the small costal towns. Sorry for no photos we the site won't accept our USB or Cards.

Advertisement



20th December 2010

Amazing
I've done the sleeping in a cave with rats and bats, stayed in a hut with spiders the size of my palm, and had dinner with millions of cockroaches raining down on me but man, your trip has balls. I thought I was scared of bugs but the thought of a 16 day hike doesn't appeal to me at all. Thank goodness you guys are doing it though so I can live through you. Canyoning looks pretty cool. Keep up with the good stuff. Diana
20th December 2010

Merry South American Christmas
Mel, Jason, May you have a very Merry Christmas no matter where December 25th finds you! More travels and adventures await you and we are looking forward to periodic updates and photos from your journey. May 2011 be your best year ever! Take care and safe travels! PB&E
20th December 2010

Mel, Jason, May you have a very Merry Christmas no matter where December 25th finds you! More travels and adventures await you and we are looking forward to periodic updates and photos from your journey. May 2011 be your best year ever! Take care and safe travels! PB&E

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb