Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 20th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

16th -20th July 2006
Made it back to Auckland for a tour of the highlights of the city and a night with Brian and Jill. They have surpassed themselves with food and kindness. Katie got a second morning with Dusty the horse, and Jill. Sadly for Hugh and I this is a definite highlight for the child and something we can’t second! After a hurried exit we’re off to the airport.
Flight is 11 hours long and time going backwards. We leave New Zealand at 6pm and arrive in Santiago at 1pm on the same day! The small blonde is as good as ever. What a natural traveller she is. Hugh and I knackered and have spent the last two days reminding one another what the ‘real’ time is and making ourselves feel worse. Sad articles that we are.
It’s good to be in a new scene. Back to foreign languages and smells. Santiago is so different. Refreshingly so, although the consumer bug is here and the streets are full of shops. Looks like they categorise streets so we have one street of dress making shops, one of lamps, one of furniture and so on….the city centre is shabby compared to the antipodean scene and takes a bit of getting used to but the people are incredibly friendly. Had a wander round the Central Market where a wee guy approached us offering a table in his restaurant. Turns out he’s a fan of James Joyce. Loved Ulysses. Food is mainly stew based and very tasty. We had lunch in a traditional cafe full of fast talking Chileans. Determined to be casual we confidently order what we believe to be beef stew with rice. On arrival, we are faced with a bowl of lentil gloop with sausage on the top. Tastes fantastic but a bit unexpected.
Up early and off to the Andes for a spot of skiing in incredible surroundings. It’s really hot and sunny. The temperatures here are double the norm for this time of year. Lucky or what. Unfortunately, due to poorly applied sun cream the adults end the day looking a bit red in the face and stiff in the limbs. Katie, as usual, unaffected.
We have a full day planned at museums, zoos and art galleries. We’ve been reading up on Chile. Thought we’d left the Celtic connections behind, but no. One Bernardo O’Higgins, illegitimate son of a man from Sligo, was instrumental in the introduction of democracy and a president in the 18th century. The Military Academy is named after him! And Thomas Cochrane, a resident of Dundonald, Ayrshire was admiral of the Chilean Navy in the 19th century. He had been disgraced in Britain and came over here, sorted things out, went on to Brasil and then Greece before being pardoned by the British. He was made admiral before he died and is buried in Westminster Abbey. Amazing the information one gleans when travelling. You never know when it might come in useful!!
On to more significant issues for the gals. The shoe shops are amazing and so cheap. Am going to have to indulge for memories sake, if nothing else!! Hugh has already bought a pair of Timberland boots for pennies!
Signing off now cause we’re going to eat. Heading to Buenos Aires tomorrow so next bulletin from Argentina.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



4th August 2006

news from kilchoan regatta
dear all reporting from grandpas in kilchoan ( broadband has arrived ) Lucy, Cameron and I are up while Shiela is having a well deserved break. dad's is good humour all things considered. You appear to be still having a ball. The price of grain has risen by a tenner ( thats the farming chat) and we have had the best july on record in Scotland. All change the minute you cross to Ardgour on the ferry.Misty and very wet. So it's jigsaw's, cards, painting and chess. Sean Connery coming to visit next week! all the best Johnny
6th August 2006

Peru
Rachel tells me it would freeeze the b....ls off you at nite there! I'm wondering what to pack ( as little as poss ) i'm sooo sorry I wont be here when you return but we'll catch up soon

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb