Santiago - cafes and football


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
June 7th 2011
Published: June 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in another South American Capital city!

We arrived on Saturday which was Gordon's birthday so we celebrated with a few beers at lunchtime, then a bottle of Chilean merlot in the evening....when in Santiago....

We are in an apartment which has been relative luxury - wardrobes and everything!!! I was unpacked and in the laundry within half an hour of arriving at the flat!! No oven though, so no pizzas!

I love the cafe culture here and already have a favourite (more submarino hot chocolates!). We also found a lovely fish market yesterday where we stopped for lunch - I had the most ENORMOUS mussels, that were actually TOO big!! (had to have a raspberry frozen yoghurt to clear my palate afterwards!!)

Meanwhile, G wanted to get tickets for one of the football games taking place....

Thanks to modern technology Gordon had read on line where tickets were sold (a music shop bit like HMV) and we just joined a queue!!!- We tried for the Quarter finals on Saturday, no joy, so we queued again Sunday for the semis, no joy and then yesterday we managed to get tickets for the Chilean League final on Thursday after an hour queue! (two local Santiago teams playing - we will be supporting Universidad de Chile who play in blue!!). Can you imagine queuing outside HMV in Manchester for tickets for City v Utd in the final game of the league!?!? (and paying less than £20 per ticket)??? I don't think so!

So G's aim of going to a football game in every SA country, is going to plan!

We have done a lot of walking, the City is really lovely, more relaxed and colonial than BA but with lots to see. We also joined a historical tour which was laid on free by the tourist board and was very informative.

Tomorrow we are going to Valparaiso (a town on the coast about 2 hours away) then Thursday we will stay local, ready for the BIG game in the evening! No doubt your roaming sport reporter will be back for that one.....

We go back to Argentina on Friday and head for Mendoza (wine region)

Tough life......




Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

museum of Belle Artesmuseum of Belle Artes
museum of Belle Artes

Gordon will be going back here later in the week, while I wait in my fav cafe!


8th June 2011

Happy birthday Gordon. Enjoy the game. C'mon you blues!
8th June 2011

Happy Birthday Mi Amigo
9th June 2011
autumn colours!

I managed to find the submit button on Ericas iPad :-) I keep forgetting it's autumn there, your photos are always slightly surprising because I expect to see you in a t shirt x
9th June 2011
town hall, national history museum and Post office

i like the sky scraper in the backgroung

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb