Chi Chi Chi Le Le Le


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
October 10th 2009
Published: November 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The conditions are simple: Chile beats Colombia, and they’re qualified for the World Cup soccer. If not, they'll get more chances later on. Chilean people know this. But the Chileans don’t want to wait. It’s Saturday, they want to party.

We arrive early at the Irish-styled pub, to get a good seat. A wise decision. We do get a table with a good view of the massive big screen. People who arrive late aren’t as lucky, they have to take a seat wherever they can find one. Except for Piñera.

The place is packed. Apparently a popular place. National television is there, filming the crowd. Chile plays away from home, in Colombia, and the best way to catch the atmosphere is to go to a pub like this. Just around the time for kickoff, a large man with a big smile, his own personal posse of friends, assistants, bodyguards, or whatever walks in. Attention is momentarily shifted from the game to his dramatic entrance to the best table in the house. We’re clueless as to what the fuss is all about and who this character might be. Turns out his name is Miguel “Negro” Piñera, also the brother of the presidential candidate. There’s no doubt he’s an artist of some kind, and that politics is not quite what he was born to do. We’re not sure whether he’s a national joke or a extraordinarily popular figure. Either way, his presence adds some spice to the bar and the atmosphere.

Regardless of whether a national icon is present or not, the crowd knows how to get the party started. A guy up front takes charge. Stands up and chants “Chi” off the top of his lounges. The crowd, apparently well familiar with this exercise, responds “Le” as loudly as possible. This is repeated once more; they guy with his “Chi” and the crowd with their “Le”. Chi and Le. Chile. Not exactly rocket science. Ok, we’ve established that we support Chile. So the chant continues, now in a little faster pace, and now everybody join in; “Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le”. And to emphasize that we’re really not mistaken, the chant is finished with a loud “Viva Chile!”. Kind of cool. Kind of cute. Kind of catchy. Initially...

The match itself is of moderate quality. South American soccer is different from the European soccer I’m accustomed to. Less organized, less tactical, more individualistic, more spontaneous. And at times quite entertaining. Colombia scores the first goal. This doesn’t put the crowd off, not even a little bit. Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, etc. they go, cheerful as ever, as to wake their heroes up on the screen. Just minutes after, Chile scores. More Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, etc. Add another minute or so, and Chile scores again. And more Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, etc. At this point Chile is qualified for the World Cup. Halftime. More Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, etc., just to make sure no one falls asleep. Right, we get it.

Second half. Colombia scores. Oops. The guys on the pitch need to wake up again. Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, etc. Chile appears to have the more motivated team. They enforce a third goal, and it’s looking good. “Chile is going to the World Cup”. A little variety can’t hurt, and the crowd temporarily forget their beloved catchphrase and chant “Chile va a Mundial”. The game is almost over. Chile kills the game with their fourth goal. Some more Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, just in case.

After the game the pub empties very quickly. The crowd wants to hit the streets and party. The Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le, etc. was funny the first few times, but has limited long-lasting entertainment value. We’re rather happy to not have to listen to it. At least until next summer...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb