Santiago-the beginning of the end


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
April 25th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the time machine from Auckland on Sunday at 6 pm and after a 12 hour flight we arrived in Santiago on Sunday at 2 pm. That was crazy and we were confused! Luckily our host, Carlos, came to the airport to meet us. He had everything under control and made sure that we arrived safely to his appartment in central Santiago. Our mission for the first day was not to fall asleap before the evening, because we thought that would be the best way to get over our jetlag. We managed to do so thanks to Carlos who took us for sightseeing in the city. Carlos' work college and friend, Majid, joined us for the day and we had a very good start on our South America adventure.

The next days we were still tired after the long flight and we slept til late. For this reason we didn't see much of the city during the days. In the evenings we went out with Carlos and Majid or stayed at home watching movies.

We did a day trip to Concha y Toro, the winery that makes the famous wine, Castillero del Diablo. The tour was nice but
Concho y ToroConcho y ToroConcho y Toro

The tour guide is serving some wine for thirsty tourists
we were a bit dissipointed when the wine we tasted was too young and didn't taste that good. The last day we did a trip to Valapraiso a beautiful city one hour from Santiago.

The last night we wnet out to explore the night life in Santiago. We started the evening at a nice terace area where we had some wine and tapas. Later in the evening we felt like going to a night club so we ended up taking a taxi to an area in Santiago called Suecia (means Sweden in español), There where night clubs called Stickholm and I tought it was really weird and funny. We found a salsa club where we danced the night away and didn't come home before 5 am. That is not too bad, but sadly we had bought tickets to Argentina for 8 o'clock in the morning and had time to sleep only two hours before we had to get up, pack our bags and leave. Once again Anna and I travelled with a hangover, something that has become more or less our trademark on this trip.

Arriving in Santiago felt a bit like the beginning of the end. This would be the last continent on this trip and even if we still had two months to go, it felt like we woudn't have time to see anything anymore. But our start in Santiago was perfect and that was mostly thanks to Carlos who was a wonderful host. Even if we only stayed five nights in Santiago and didn't see much else of the country, I felt like after listening to Carlos I new more about Chile then I know about many other places I've been too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb