Christmas/New Year/Onwards...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
December 28th 2007
Published: January 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well I'm now in Santiago, Chile, in the best hostel in the world!! The past couple of weeks have been soooo mega busy, but they're nothing compared to what the next few will be like....eeek!! Can't wait though =D

We spent a lovely week in Rio, Christmas Day especially! And guess what?! GORGEOUS WEATHER!!!!! Aww it totally made our day, by far the best weather since we arrived in Brazil!! Spent the morning opening our prezzies from each other, which were fab! Nothing better than jewelery and gin teehee!! Oh and not forgetting LISA CRISPS!!! Actual crisps called "Lisa" omg!!! Then everyone else got in contact with home via Skype (lifesaver...if you don´t have it or know what it is...GET IT!! greatness =D) and we eventually made it down to the beach, santa hats in tow obviously! Felt really surreal lying flat out under the blaring sun on christmas day!!! Spent a lovely few hours enjoying the beach to the max, swimming, sunbathing, and drinking out of coconuts!

Later on that day, we went to a pub (originally) called "The Irish Pub", which was where our entire hostel had flocked to for a true British-style christmas dinner! Only thing that was missing was the yorkshire puddings Kirsten!! After a yummmmmmmmy dinner, and even some apple crumble thrown in, we toddled our way back to the hostel where I managed to get Skype working and was able to speak to home for a good wee while! It was weird hearing everything that had happened without me - hope you didn´t miss me too much teehee!! That night was really fun in the hostel - drinking and eating non-stop in true christmas fashion!!

I have to say christmas didn´t feel quite as festive without my usual christmas tunes and crackers, but it was certainly a christmas to remember, that´s for sure!!

Thankfully the next morning I managed to get up early-ish (unlike some =P) and it was time for some serious sun worshipping!! Later on in the day we went to visit Christ the Redeemer, which, incase you haven´t heard of it, is an absolutely ginormous statue of Christ plonked right on top of Corcovado mountain, the huuuuuuuuge 710m granite peak that towers over the entire of Rio, thus providing the most amazing view. The views truly were breath-taking, I can't doubt for a second the reputation Rio has as the most beautiful city in the world. Stunning!

The next day, we were due to leave Rio for Buenos Aires, but unfortunately, after traipsing round the bus station for hours all loaded up with our 50-ton bags, discovered that the earliest we would be able to go was first thing the next morning. After a bit of panic, thankfully we managed to find ourselves the one remaining hostel left, Mellow Yellow, which was surprisingly nice. Everybody flocks to Rio for New Year, so we were extremely lucky to find ourselves with a roof over our heads, and for a decent price too, since the following day the prices city-wide triple or quadruple!! Mellow Yellow was a huge hostel, with lots of organised activities and offers, etc, and it's own bar/restaurant and hot tub.... although I have to say I prefer the cosiness and friendly atmosphere of the small Wave Hostel!

When I left Rio, it was strange, as it really didn´t feel like I was leaving properly, I know (or really really hope) that I´ll be back at some point in my life - won´t be able to stay away! Love that city!!!

Our coach to Buenos Aires, was, guess what, FORTY TWO hours long....argh!! Although I decided not to sleep the previous night, so for the first leg, which was 22 hours, I managed to sleep for 21 of them woohoo! After a long and boring 5 hour wait at Foz do Iguacu bus station, we began the second leg (20 hours) which typically draggggggggged...although the coach was definitely an improvement on the horrible state of the first one.

We spent 5 days in Buenos Aires, including New Year obviously. The first couple of days we spent exploring the area, as our hostel was in the neighbourhood of Palermo, which has many lovely green parks, perfect for sunbathing! On New Year's Eve, the hostel was putting on a barbeque, but at the price of 60 pesos each, we decided that was a bit steep and we would find elsewhere. After getting suitably tipsy in the hostel (on our own cheap drink obviously!!) we made our way to Wherever Bar, which we had seen advertised on posters and facebook - it's a bar run by a couple of English blokes who are fed up of the Argentinian way of not partying till 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning and thus missing the bells altogether!! It was a super night, you wouldn't believe how ace it was to hear english-speaking music after so long of spanish stuff!! We even got Mr Brightside played, and Wonderwall at midnight too. The entire pub was filled with people of every nationality - Swedish, Irish, Dutch, Kiwi, American, you name it - but NO other Scottish people, despite me spending half the night asking every single person there!!! Not one Argentinian though haha!!

I'll skip past New Year's Day for obvious reasons...

On the 2nd, we decided to go on a city tour, which was well worth it! We got to see all of the city and it's attractions, including a huge metal structure in the shape of a flower, that closes at night and opens during the day, how cool! Buenos Aires is such a pretty city, there's so many leafy plazas and huge parks plonked right in the middle of all it's posh buildings, skyscrapers and cathedrals... especially in our neighbourhood, Palermo. We also got to see the Boca Juniors' stadium (who, for those of you that don't know, are one of the biggest football teams in South America), although it was a shame that we couldn't go to see a match, apparently the atmosphere is crazy! The area surrounding the stadium, La Boca, is one of the more dangerous and lower class areas of BA, and you're not advised to go there unaccompanied. It was a really nice place though, all the buildings are painted bright colours, and the area envelopes itself with the theme of Tango dance - dancers on the street, beautiful paintings being sold from every corner, and endless tango photo opportunities. Would have loved to go back there for a longer look if we hadn't been so strongly advised not to by everyone!

Later that day, we went to visit Parque del Norte, a humugous park not far from our hostel. Made it quite interesting to manage to find it though when we were told to "just get off the bus when you see a religious theme park" ....whatever they are!!!! After trekking across the entire of the park to find the pool right at the bottom, we were told we had to go all the way back to the entrance again to obtain a medical certificate - typical south american!!! Eventually though, we made it into the pool area - wow! There were around 6 different pools, all sparkling blue and packed with people, even though it was later on in the day and the sun wasn't blaring down as it had been earlier. We spent a lovely time there, although I spent most of the time trying to work out why on earth there were 50 lane ropes in one pool, all crossing different ways and directions!

The next day, our new 'member' arrived lol, Hugh's mate Josh. We spent the morning waiting for him to arrive, although we made the most of it by sunbathing on the roof of our hostel! Unfortunately though, I had hurt my neck terribly somehow, and couldn't move at all! Had to go to the supermarket wearing mum's travel pillow with my head at a 45 degree angle....attractive...

The following morning, us girls set off for Rosario, a town/city only 4 hours away from Buenos Aires, planning to meet up with the boys in Santiago after Josh had had a chance to see some of BA. The coach was nice, typically, when it was only 4 hours! Got to watch 'She's the Man' too which was a bit of a novelty after the usual rubbish they put on, if anything at all!! Once we arrived, and had settled/showered/etc, of course we had to head for the beach....well it is what Rosario's famous for! It's actually a river beach, and overlooks the Delta Islands which float in the middle of the River Parana, the same river that flows through Asuncion I think. We were really wanting to go kayaking across to the islands, but sadly we ran out of both time and suncream to do it!

Our coach that night, from Rosario to Mendoza (around 12 hours I think) was the best coach in the WORLD!!!! Think we managed to get upgraded by mistake or something cos we certainly didn't pay for what we got!!! Huge leathery seats, with a table, blanket, pillow, tv right infront of us, and meals too! Like heaven after what we've been used to haha!! We just had to take photos to show the boys what they were missing =P

Once we got to Mendoza, we'd been told that it was really easy to book a coach to Santiago there and then, which is what we planned to do. But, surprise surprise, every seat had been sold for that morning.... eventually though, we found the last 3 seats for the 10.30 departure with this dodgy company, who didn't even have proper coaches, but a tiny minibus!!! So for the next 8 hours we found ourselves squashed in the back of this tiny minibus with no leg room or anything....and had to wait at the border for around an hour and a half....but to make up for it, there was an amazing view the entire journey, since we were crossing right through the Andes!

Unfortunately Hugh and Josh couldn't get a coach to Santiago until first thing the next morning, so had to stay in Mendoza that night. And so missing an extra night in the best hostel in the world hehe!!!!! I'm here right now, this place is great - it's got a pool with swim up bar (guess what we've done today...), the biggest kitchen in the woooooorld...and BEANS ON TOAST!!!!!!! =D hehe!

Tomorrow we're heading for Vina del Mar, a town around 2 hours from Santiago, which is right on the coast and thus supposed to be really pretty. After that, we're heading for Mendoza, a town famous for it's wine... then on to Salta, hopefully for some bungee jumping if I can manage to fit it in woohoo!! Then we head up to Uyuni, where we get picked up for our tour of the Salt Lakes, which is a 3 day/2 night tour and looks ACE!!! And then..... hopefully will be able to update you by the time I get there!! Not long now till I get HAME, time has flew past and I'm sure it's gonna go twice as fast in the next few weeks!!

That's all for now, looooooooooooooooads of love,

Lisa xXxXx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb