Team Chile- post 4!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola mis amigos!!

Well, the entire country has officially shut down and everyone is gathered around TV´s to watch the FIFA world cup in Edmonton. Chile has just scored and is leading against Portugal! We are at the Clinica Veterinaria de Chicureo, just outside of Santiago, where Dr. Francisco Lobos and his team have taken us in for the day to show us around. The clinic is in a very wealthy area and offers almost everything that we are able to offer clients in Ontario. We examined a possible distemper case (as vaccination against distemper is not commonly done in Chile) and helped to diagnose a tricky case of pyoderma, possibly an allergic reaction to the environment.

Our experience today was in stark contrast to our work of the last few days where we worked in a very poor suburb of Santiago. The vet clinic, known as RIMA (Red Informativa del Movimiento Animal), is run by several young graduates who are determined to put a stop to stray dog overpopulation. The clinic offers services at a reduced cost, included spays and neuters, check-up appointments and vaccines. One of their biggest mandates is to also educate pet owners about parasite control and responsible care of their pets, or ´mascotas´ as they´re referred to in Chile.

We have to run now. Dr. Lobos and his team are taking us out for dinner! Such wonderful Chilean hospitality.

Buenas Noches.

Dominique, Emma and Rob


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb