chile in chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 4th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a lovely last few days in Auckland. Beverley and Steve took us to the orbit restaurant in the top of the Auckland tower, there were fantastic views of the city from up there .The floor revolves very slowly (it takes an hour to go all the way around)so the view is constantly changing.
We took the girls to Kelly tartans for the day on Saturday. Its an underground antarctic centre where they have lots of sharks, stingrays and lots of fish. We should have left Auckland on Saturday afternoon but our flight was delayed by 11 hours! Luckily I rang the airline the day before so we managed to plan around it, it was nice as we had an extra day.


Santiago


We arrived in Santiago on Saturday night which was weird as we set off from Auckland on Sunday morning, we got here 4 hours before we set off even though the flight was 11 hours! the whole date line thing is very confusing. We have been very jetlagged because of it too.

Santiago is a huge place with lots of people and pollution, there is a kind of hazy smog around all the time, a huge contrast to clean Auckland. The Andes dominate the skyline too. We have been lucky with the weather as its ususally very wet this time of year, think its all in England!! My gcse spanish has been handy as the hotel staff dont speak much english at all!!

We have been to all the sights including the funicular railway up to the statue of the virgin mary which overlooks the city. It also involved 4 rides on a cable car, Jon wasnt impressed!
Yesterday we went on a wine tour around the concha y toro vineyard which was interesting, we now know a bit more about wines, I wont be drinking lambrini again!!We got to see a bit more of chile too. In the evening we went out for a meal in the bella vista area of town as my birthday treat. We tried the chilean drink pisco a sour very alcoholic drink, which has made me very sick today!! It was really nice to get some birthday cards from home, thanks everyone.
We have seen just about all there is to see here in Santiago, we fly to Peru in the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

SantiagoSantiago
Santiago

Where are the andes? Up my sleevies.


4th July 2007

Happy Birthday
Hope you had a lovely birthday Michelle. We were all thinking about you. Denise & Franks do was good. Raised £400 for Hope Hospital. Love to you both, Mum & Co.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5th July 2007

Glad you had a nice birthday! Do all the dogs have such fetching pull overs on?
6th July 2007

DOGS
yes all the dogs in chile seem to have cute little coats on!

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb