The empire Strikes back - Santiago II


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
February 1st 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset Sunset Sunset

The boys - worth a pose
Leon and I looped back through to Santiago from Mendoza for a weekend with our favourite Chileanas. Aparently you can drive through the Andes back to the West coast in under 4hours. However, with the Friday traffic and sleepy border guards, the bus was delayed Argy-Chile border for 3hours. You useless Latinos.

We eventually arrived to Completos and wine a good 3hours behind schedule. Ahhhh!


I was a little gutted to find Mache was away on business for the entire time we were visiting Santiago. However, this was short lived as Sandra, along with more of Kathys friends - Marcella and Rocio arrived to Karthys apartment.

The 6 of us crammed in to the car and headed to a little house party - where i spent my time yarning to a guy with a Jamiriqai tshirt. He spoke English and everytime i tried to talk in Spanish he refused to understand and said: Spek en Eeeeenglis!


The days in Santiago were spent relaxing in the swimming pool and sleeping. Leon was stoked to get to watch TV for the first time in a couple of months. I was stoked to have some piece and quiet.
Road down the AndesRoad down the AndesRoad down the Andes

Switchback upon switchback. Check out the trucks below us.
Sponge Bob was happy to have me back too.


Saturday night, Leon went to a wedding with Kathy.
Rocio and Marcella took me to the Ponsonby of Chile. This consisted of cafes, museums and alternative shops. The crowd were 20 somethings wearing Che t shirts and sporting thick black rimmed glasses. How cultured.
The three of us browsed the area before visiting a favourite water hole - complete with its own art collection.

Sunday night Leon, Karthy and I got out of the house to get icecream and ended up at a fully blown concert. Bands from Puerto Rico, Tango and Cuban influenced Chilean band. The energy was fantastic. The make shift stand was filed with colourful people dancing on their feet to the music. Electrifying atmosphere.
Most suprising was the range of age. There we 6year olds dancing next to 75year olds. As the concert pushed on to 1am - it was suprising to see the whole crowd last the distance!!
What a find - we went for icecream and found a cult movement!

Monday, a spur of the moment decision was made to make a b-line for the beach. Karthy, Sandra, Leon and I
Cafe lifeCafe lifeCafe life

Me with Rocio and Marcella
left at around 5pm.
The beach was profoundly different - with the ocean sheltered by a rocky outcrop - making a lagoon, perfect for a paddle. We swam around and said gidday to the gigantic Pelicans which were chilling out on the rocks. The sun was dropping and we witnessed a great sunset over the ocean.
We then ate empanadas for dinner and checked out some markets - including a shop selling chocolate covered fruit. Yummy! Great photo attached of Leon and I manning the shop (munch munch)...

Tuesday, Sandra and i went for an adventure up in to the hills and discovered a Chilean rugby team training. Amazing field in the hills! We then had a go on the lodge before chilling out and watching the sun set in over Santiago. Very fun afternoon of cruising around - especially going the wrong way down a street closed for road works!!

Wednesday, our Chilean finale...
We went out to dinner to a reknowned Chilean cuisine restaurant. The place was massive, with people chocka block, spilling on the pavement. We joined Rocio and Marcella for Borgona -which is red wine with reduced strawberrys. It goes to your head. Before long everyone was jumping off the walls. It set up for a very enjoyable traditional meal and memorable send off.

Thursday... we said good bye to Kathy and Sandra, embarking on a 24 hour bus ride to the East coast and Buenos Aires.













Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hunting machines Hunting machines
Hunting machines

The pelicans chill in between catches
Chocky shopChocky shop
Chocky shop

Smiles all round
EmpanadaEmpanada
Empanada

Feeding time at the zoo
Rugby scoutRugby scout
Rugby scout

Interesting setting for a rugby club - high in the Andes!
Red wine and strawberriesRed wine and strawberries
Red wine and strawberries

At this stage, i had traded the glass in for the more unconventional method.


Tot: 0.465s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.4292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb