The end


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
January 22nd 2015
Published: January 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We leave our luxury lodging in Cerro Sombrero and set of on the no so bad gravel road, once we're past the road works the going gets good, after a while you get confidence and start going faster, and no doubt about it Chilean gravel beats Argie ditto easily, it's cold and miserable but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Th Chilean ripio was good and we got to the border on fumes and lo and behold they had petrol.

A quick stop in Rio Grande, allegedly a city of dreams, night mares, a 1/4 dozen empanadas later saw u on a icy run down to Ushuaia from now on known as U.

About a 100 km from U in Tolhuin the flora changes, suddenly there are trees higher than shrub or grass and the mountains are close, and its getting cold and we feel miserable, felling cold and not being able to do anything about it is no fun ride on , the end is neigh.

The mountains are all over the place now are there are even curves in the road, wow after umpteen kms of flat Patagonia.

Thar she blows! We enter U and take pics like a bunch of 1o year olds, we have reached the destination, the big U, the southern most city in the world.

It's located in nice surroundings, all in the back ground are mountains snow clad and all and the bay with white capped waves. Cold YES!!

But still we're here, I'v done about 36000 km to get here, all voluntarily so no complaints.

Bascally U is back mountains and a bay and the ubiquitous Calle San Martin( famous liberator of something in South America) and that's it.

The rest is souvenir shops galore and restaurants.

This is the end of the Americas though the Andes dive down into the ocean and die in U.

The next day all excursion boats are not allowed to go out because of the icy gale so we do pass the day in a manly pursuit of going to very other bar to have a little something with alcohol in it.

My Argie friends have to high tail it back to Baires and I can't be bothered to hang around so we go together to the border, get topped up with petrol.

The petrolstaion is out of fuel so we have to wit for five hours, the wind is back a full gale and is howling like a banshee and my bike is moving on it's suspension in the.

gusts. 5 hours waiting is boring but there are no alternatives. No petrol, no go.

My traveling amtes are going one way and I'm going the other so we part ways, nice chaps Eloy and Raul.

I have 150 or so on ripio with a setting sun in my scratched visor before I reach Porvenir from whence I'm to take the ferry back to the mainland.

IT's a barren waste land , no people no farms not anything.

Finally I reach Porvenir where I get a bed and the best steak in a very long time, sorry Argie, but my steak in Porvenir beats anything I've had on this trip sofar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

20150118_13384620150118_133846
20150118_133846

Strange tree
20150118_13385820150118_133858
20150118_133858

Even stranger leaves


Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb