USHUAIA next


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
January 20th 2015
Published: January 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So having seen the only sight in El Calafate it was time to get down to it and move on , to get to Ushuaia.

Why to Ushuaia you might ask yourself, well it's there and was an itch to scratch, I filled up the tank and hit the road, ever flat ever brown grey only the road the sky and me.

Monotony again, but when I stopped for petrol I was hailed by the Argentinian boys who had a little picnic in the lee of the petrol station, so I was invited.

Great, the had camping chairs and a craving board and a knife and a big salami and cheese so went an hour there enjoying life.

People came up to me at the station wanting to know about the big guy with the orange bike, some kid got it's pic taken sitting on the bike , not the first time that's happened.

The Argie chaps are coast guards and had to go into a station in Rio Gallegos to leave the side arms, not a good idea to bring your gun into your arch enemy's lair, the hated Chileans.

The only thing more desteded are the Brits because of the whupping they got from them on the Falkland islands.

There are signs everywhere about the Malvinas as they call them here, that they belong to Argentina, whatever, losers weepers winners keepers.

I can write this securely here now as I'm in Chile waiting for ferry.

Anyway the goal was to get to U the same day, the chaps were in a hurry and good company so I went with them, but their previously mentioned lack of engine power kept us on a sedate pace.

To get to Ushuaia to have to enter Chile so border crossings were up and coming, oh how they love the paper work, and we were the last in a 200 people queue, it took like 2 hours to get across the border.

We caught the ferry as it was leaving and got on to the island at the end of the world.

I was getting late and there was no way we were going to get to U that day so we stopped in some crummy village and got some food and some lodgings.

Next day end of pavement again but the Chileans keep their dirt roads in good nick, smooth as ball room floors compared to the Argie ones so the going got good, the land remains bleak.

So then we had to leave Chile to get into Argie again, another 2 hours lost, krikes!

There was a petrol station just on the other side of the border and I got there running on fumes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

20150116_19522320150116_195223
20150116_195223

The straits of Magellan
20150117_08582520150117_085825
20150117_085825

A safe place for a motorbike


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb