Puerto Natales to Punta Arenas


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
March 1st 2011
Published: March 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

I slept in today until 8:30am, had breakfast, then walked around some more until noon when we had lunch next to our hostal for $2500 Chilean peso (about $5) with homemade soup, bread, spaghetti and dessert which we skipped because we were going to be late catching our bus to Punta Arenas.

It took about 3 hours to arrive in Punta Arenas. There was in-bus movie to entertain us but the choice was poor – Drillbit Taylor – enough said. Punta Arenas is a much larger city than Peurto Natales, but there isn’t not much to see or do. It is located on the shores of the Strait of Magellan and the capital of the Magallanes region. Punta Arenas has been called “the city of the red roofs” for the red-painted metal roofs that characterized the city for many years, although it’s not the case any longer. It is Chile’s southernmost city, bigger than Ushuaia, Argentina that is further south.

Its cemetery is somewhat interesting. There are different tiers of final resting places, from the basic “space in the wall” to a standard plot of land with a tomb stone, to a full mausoleum similar to the ones in the cemetery in Recoleta in Buenos Aires.

In the main square is a statue of Magellan, but other than that not much else that’s interesting. For dinner I wanted something different so I had liebre (hare). It tasted like tough chicken but kind of funny. I wouldn’t try it again but I least I did try it. Guanaco was also on the menu but not available that particular night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Punta ArenasPunta Arenas
Punta Arenas

Magellan


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb