Day 140 - Ushuaia - the 2nd most southerly city in the world


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
November 19th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Just in case we were forgetting how much fun bus journeys can be, today we had the 12 hour ride to Ushuaia in Argentina. After having travelled almost the entire length of the Americas over the past 140-odd days, and documenting a lot of it on our blog, we've kind of run out of things to say about a day on a bus.

Still, the crossing of the Magellan Strait was an experience. They obviously choose a narrow point for the ferry, and this means very strong currents as the Atlantic and Pacific are at different levels. We were also lucky enough to have fantastically strong winds. This wasn't just wind that makes it hard to stand, this was wind that could hold you up even leaning into it at about 45 degrees. That was fun until spray started to drench us and we retreated to the coach.

Tierre del Fuego is a barren place. A lot of it is pretty flat with just nothing around at all. And then we cross the Andes, which here run east-west having turned a corner. This provides a spectacular ending to the journey as we near Ushuaia.

We arrived late-ish, about 9pm, so the first thing on our list was something we've dreamed about for months. We found a restaurant with a meat-cooking room in full view, and ordered steak and a bottle of Malbec. The steaks were enormous and deliciously undercooked. And it was cheap - just over £10 all in. We think we'll do well in Argentina.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1122s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb