The Navimag and Puerto Natales


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Puerto Natales
February 1st 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So on Monday morning we headed down to the port to catch The Navimag south to Puerto Natales. We weren´t quite sure what to expect but we were all pleasantly surprised by the boat. Although there were 22 bunks together, they were separated into groups of 2 or 4, so we had a small area just for us. The beds were comfortable and there was a locker for our stuff to go in. The toilet/shower area had mens and womens and they were often cleaned so no problem there either.

Luckily for us the weather was fantastic. The first two days we sat out with t-shirts and shorts on, watching the scenery drify pass. Although we didn´t see a whale we did see water spouting from it. We also saw a few dolphins as we headed towards Pio XI glacier, one of the few glaciers in the world that is increasing in size.

On the last night we played bingo and in one game Miles was in the last three and had to dance to win a prize. For his moves he won a bottle of beer and a t-shirt, which because of it´s size is now mine.

When we docked at Puerto Natales it was raining quite hard but luckily we were met by the owner of the hostel that we were going to be staying in. It was a great hostel with big beds and big duvets, very cosy. We had pre-booked a trip to Torres Del Paine national park through them the following day and hoped that the weather would be better.

Luckily again for us the weather the next day was perfect. Clear blue sky and sunshine. We set off for our 11 hour trip quite early with 4 other people. Carlos was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. The trip was fantastic and the scenery one of the best that we have seen. Every lake was a photo opportunity. The best was Lago Gray because of the blue iceberg´s - quite spectacular. We have so many great photo´s that I have done a separate post just with photo´s.

After just two nights it was time to head to the furthest point south we are going - Punta Arenas and the penguin colonies.

Love to you all

Tina


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb