Valporaiso down to Puerto Montt


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Montt
January 27th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Valporaiso is described as unique and unusual by our guide book, but it didn´t really grab us as a great place. It was unusual in that it has 15 funicular´s which go up and down the steepish slopes of the town but that was about it. We had a good time though, and had a hostel with a kitchen which we made full use of, cooking dinner for ourselves. There was free internet, so we made full use of that as well and booked quite a few things for New Zealand which is our next country.

After Valporaiso we went to Talca to celebrate Chris´birthday. After a few phone calls and e-mails we were booked on a wine tasting and spa day. The first vineyard we went to was called Baldazzi and after a short tour we tasted 4 different wines. They were very nice so we purchased a bottle of their finest Cabernet Sauvigon. We then went onto Gillmore vineyard and again had a short tour before trying 3 of their wines. They weren´t as nice but we still purchased a bottle from them.

Then onto the spa resort where we had a good lunch before sitting around
Chris on his birthdayChris on his birthdayChris on his birthday

Chris trying to do an impression of Mickey Mouse!
the outdoor pool in the sunshine and swimming in the indoor heated pool. (The outdoor pool was very cold). Chris opened his presents and then it was time to go back to the hostel, after a very relaxing day.

After a day´s resting in Talca we headed off to Pucon, our venue for white water rafting. Pucon is a beautiful town, with an active volcano on one side of town and a lake on the other. We found a hostel that had a cabin for 4, with one bathroom and a small kitchen.

The white water rafting was excellent. We decided to go for a grade 3 trip as none of us had done it before. Mandy nearly fell out at one point, but it was great fun. We were with a Chilean family that spoke English so they translated what the guide was telling us to do. We are thinking of maybe doing a grade 4 trip in New Zealand if it´s not too expensive.

After discussing the various options of where to go after Pucon, we decided to go to the Southern Patagonia area. To get there you either fly or get a boat from Puerto Montt , so as we are budget travellers we are getting a cargo boat that also takes passengers. We tried to book a cabin but they were all taken so we have bunks in the dorm area. This means that there are 22 bunks in a shared area, and shared bathrooms. Not ideal but we didn´t really have a lot of choice.

Before getting to Puerto Montt we had two days at Valdivia. Not a great place (although described as the prettiest town in the area), but there is a German brewery there. Unfortunately the tour of the brewery was fully booked, so we had to go straight to the restaurant to sample the different beers they brew (7 in total). There was also a Beer Festival on, but with the same beer as at the brewery so we didn´t stay long.

We are now in Puerto Montt, having purchased essentials for the boat trip (wine, sweets, toilet roll). We leave tomorrow (Monday) and arrive at Puerto Natales on Thursday morning. I´m looking forward to the trip, we should see icebergs and glaciers!

Hope you are all well, love to you all.

Tina

p.s. Belated birthday wishes to my mum and nephew Jason.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb