A Big Little Bit of Easter Island


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Coquimbo Region » Pisco Elqui
July 27th 2006
Published: October 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Easter Island statueEaster Island statueEaster Island statue

far from home, in a La Serena archaeology museum
Yesterday, there was a freak down pour of rain which sucked because we had an appointment to visit the Gemini South Observatory - we met with the Director but unfortunately due to the weather wouldn't be able to visit the site. The roads where closed due to ice and snow.... total bummer.

On the plus side, we got to see a real Easter Island statue at the archaeology museum! I wanted to go there, but it looks like this is as close as we get this time. The statue has been all over the world on tour, and looks a bit grumpy about the fact...

Chile has a big patrioric devotion to its possession of Easter Island, and there was lots of information about its history - the poor islanders had destroyed their ecosystem through wars and hierarchical competition, so they even ran out of trees to leave the place. Then the Europeans arrived and things got really bad, many of them being seized as plantation slaves.

The next day we decided to head out of town again this time inland towards the Valle del Elque Vicuna. At the bus station you can purchase a couple all day tickets to get you to Pisco Elque and return getting off at the towns you want to visit in between.

We had a late start and didn't realize it would take as long to get to town - it was good had a nice cafe for tea and a nice church in the main square then we wandered all around town before catching the bus to one of the other towns to make our connection back to La Serena and have a late lunch.

The place seemed very relaxed with lots of artisans hanging about town. Seems like a place you could spend some serious R&R time at ...

This evening we decided it was time to visit Santiago even if it wasn't our first choice. We originally wanted to go direct to Valparaiso but all the buses were sold out.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Astronomy posterAstronomy poster
Astronomy poster

With super clear skies, star-gazing is a big deal here...
vineyardsvineyards
vineyards

imagine farming up hill, literally


10th October 2006

Easter Island!
I was wondering if you two would go to Easter Island and I'm a little sad you weren't able to visit. I've read about 5 books on Easter Island and have a board game idea in the works about it. :) Continue to post and have a great adventure! Take care, Chris

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb