A week is not long enough in Chile...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Coquimbo Region » La Serena
April 5th 2009
Published: April 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our journey so far...


Santiago - Valparaiso - La Serena

We arrived after nearly 24 hours travelling and nearly missing the plane in Madrid! Who knew that 2 flights for Santiago left within 15 minutes of one another! Despite only being three hours behind, we were both knackered, so spent the first day chilling in the central square-Plaza de Armas- enjoying the sunshine and wondering where on earth everyone was. It seems the locals don´t really go out on Sundays...
Santiago is somehow different to what we were expecting. Far more european to what we had in mind. Kevin was almost disappointed that our introduction was very very gentle. Keeps refering back to Delhi.

Managed to take in whatever we wanted to do in Santiago in two days, including beautiful views from Cerro San Cristobal and Cerro Santa Lucia. Felt very at ease till we nearly got robbed in the market-well they got in the side pockets of the bags but they only found my feminine products. They must have been really disappointed!

I am rather pleased that I seem to have no problem with the language up until we sit down to eat. Then we have to refer back to our phrase book as the food here has completely different names to the Castellano Spanish I am used to...Very frustrating. BUT, to my astonishment, Kevin is already taking a liking to the Spanish and reckons that Spanish would be easier to learn than Greek.

Moved swiftly on to Valiparaiso, having our first taste of the luxurious buses and taking in the first proper view of the Andes. Valparaiso is a huge working port, very dodgy in parts but absolutely fabulous in others. I loved the anscesores of over 100 yeras old, taking you up and down the city, where you could stroll in tiny little streets with brightly painted houses and quirky shops. Did not stay for long though...Plus I was told off by poloicemen I was not holding my camera properly. Oh well.

Next bus journey to the North of Chile, Norte Chico, took much longer than we hoped for. But the desert scenery somehow made up for it. I love staring at the cacti formations dotted all over the countryside and makes me sad we are mot even touching the proper desert. We reached La Serena, a little pretty town about 7 hours North of Santiago, full of churches (29 all together) and buzzing with local life.

The area around La Serena and in the nearby Elqui valley is one of the 8 in the world that has beautiful cloudless skies most nights of the year and is used for a lot of astronomic activity. We visited the newest observatory in the area (well, it was a huge telescope in a shed) and spent a few hours gazing at the moon, saturn and its rings, galaxies, stars and 'star factories'. Our astronomer was lovely and he managed to make us think about the universe by posing a few deep questions. I was quite tired and decided to stop thinking about it.

Next day we joined a few other tourists (mostly South American) and visited the Islas Damas, about 120 km north of La Serena. Saw lots of different sea birds and lots of sea lions , cute but shy Humboldt penguins and (my favourite) dolphins! The dolphins literally swam around our boat, not really bothered by our presence. Very special. Our adventure the tiny vessel in the rough sea was followed by a truly amazing sea food feast that even puts Glaros meals to shame (sorry dad).

We are almost used to the Chilean life by now, we even went to the church this morning (yes, even Kevin). It seems a shame we are living tonight but I am sure we will be back at some point. We are taking a ten hour bus journey from here to Mendoza in Argentina, crossing the Andes. Wish us good luck!








Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Islas DamasIslas Damas
Islas Damas

I thought it was supposed to be sunny.....
Islas Damas - CactiIslas Damas - Cacti
Islas Damas - Cacti

Stavi´s favourite...
Elqui valley, Vicuña, Capel distilleryElqui valley, Vicuña, Capel distillery
Elqui valley, Vicuña, Capel distillery

for the chemical engineers


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb