Our first tast(ings) of Argentina...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
April 9th 2009
Published: April 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tourists at Tapiz BodegaTourists at Tapiz BodegaTourists at Tapiz Bodega

What a cheesy start to the day!

Mendoza



Took the overnight bus from La Serena to Mendoza. Got to see far more of the Andes than I was expecting thanks to the large, elderly gentleman behind me who had the largest variety of snoring noises I´ve ever heard! Believe it or not this was my first ever land border crossing. It wasn´t as problematic as expected and the overly cheerful Argetinian Customs officer (it was 5 in the morning, not time for whistling) marvelled at Stavi´s passport and all the Greek wonders displayed within....

Arriving in Mendoza, buoyed by the Rough Guide´s assurance that Mendoza is overflowing with accommodation, I spent a couple of hours in the Plaza Independencia while poor Stavi searched most of the city for a room for tonight (Thursday). Seems while we´d taken care to arrange accommodation for the easter weekend, the night before good Friday is equally as popular.

Eventually plumping for a hostel, shall we say, a little rough around the edges, we spent the day deciding on the best wine tours. We toyed with the idea of bikes and wine (not things normally associated!), but felt as it was our honeymoon, something a little more upmarket was required. A night in the world´s most uncomfortable bed (I could feel the wooden slats through the mattress and it creaked everytime I rolled over!) and hostel change later, we opted for a design your own tour.

Promised four, fancy bodegas, an English guide (for the ignorant englishman) and a fancy meal, our guide arrived, delighted that Stavi spoke Spanish and promptly asked where we going...oh, oh, thought you were supposed to know that!!

A flurry of phonecalls and some heated exchanges in Spanish later, we decided to make the most of it. The first bodega was amazing. Check out the tourists in the horse and cart! The guide was incredibly friendly, apparently worked for BA and used to buy her undies in London!! Incredible what you´ll tell two perfect strangers. In between the next two swisher, not so friendly bodegas we had the largest meal for two I´ve ever seen. Stavi reckoned on 35 different dishes...oh, and that was just the starter....

Five further courses and a full bottle of wine later, we rocked up at the next bodega. Far too posh for us, so we were delighted to arrive at the final, old fashioned winery. The
What a view!What a view!What a view!

Belasco Bodega
cellar was full of some of the most beautifully carved old barrels. A great end to a super day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Carlos Pulenta BodegaCarlos Pulenta Bodega
Carlos Pulenta Bodega

How sophisticated am I?
Enormous barrel...Enormous barrel...
Enormous barrel...

...i microula Stavroula Weinert Bodega


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb