Day 228 Chile, San Pedro.


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Atacama
July 4th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hey People,



We woke up about 9am, as clocks have gone forward an hour. We showered then headed into town about 11am, we walked around the dusty little alleys of San Pedro to the market shops, and watched a little of a local football match.



We went in the local Church in the main square, that was constructed in 1640’s which is made out of all local materials, including the wall and floor; the ceiling is made out of cactus wood. We then paid to go in the museum that is on the edge of the main square, we thought this was the Museo del Meteorito, but it wasn’t. Slightly disappointed that we couldn’t find this museum but this one was still interesting, tracing the origins of the Atacama people dating back to 12000 BC.



We booked our bus ticket for tomorrow from the bus station (cheapest price we found was 20,000 Chilean each (£20) for the 10 hour journey.



After having lunch in one of the many cafés in town, we headed back (buying beer and wine on the way) to get ready for the football: Chile Vs Argentina. The owners of the hostel had set up the TV outside in the garden and had asked the hostel occupants to join them and their three other friends. There was only Neil, me and a girl from South Korea staying at the hostel, so all 8 of us sat round the table drinking beer, watching the football. The owners also prepared a free BBQ for everyone. It was such a lovely evening, and Chile won on penalties! There were fire works in the street and the owners celebrated with a joint that they passed around to everyone.



It was an early night in the end, but we were both buzzing when we went to bed. A good little stay in San Pedro. We unfortunately couldn’t go out into the heart of the dessert to see the incredible astronomy that the area is renowned for as there is a full moon at the moment and it’s been forecast clouds for the next 3 nights.



We did consider staying for 3 extra nights so we could do the 1.5hr tour but hostels in this part of Chile (and I imagine other parts) are quite expensive.





Love V&N xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb