CHILE...When Snow Falls in the Atacama


Advertisement
South America » Chile » Atacama » RN Los Flamencos
August 21st 2016
Published: August 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

CHILE...When Snow Falls in the Atacama. "I like to drive. I want to take you where there are no roads...where tourists do not go." Then it started snowing. We couldn't believe it. The Atacama Desert is supposed to be the driest place on the planet. It doesn't rain they say. Yet it's snowing...the barren desert daubed with fluttering flakes...until a blanket of white is laid out before us..... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement
























21st August 2016

Chasing the views
Great pics! The scenery is quite stunning. We'll have to keep this stop in mind when we head down that way.......Dangerous Dave
21st August 2016

Chasing the views
Absolutely stunning part of the world, Dangerous One. A magnificent closing curtain to our Peru, Bolivia, Chile sojourn. All the blogs from that trip now done. Think we need another holiday!!!
21st August 2016

Silence up here is more silent than silent
"Silence up here is more silent than silent". What a beautiful expression, Dave! 'Sound of silence' is one of my favourites from Paul Simon! This is another expression of yours I'll cherish. "Snow flakes caressing our faces"....reminds me of my days when I first experienced snow flakes coming down from heaven in Newfoundland...I absorbed them to my soul that day. So many years passed since then and I embraced this winter wonderland Canada as my home, I can really appreciate your ecstasy at the "comforting sound of snow crunching under our boots". You commented on my blog 924610, remember! Dave, some day, you got to experience the winter North of 60, when walking down a snowy path in a crisp wintry evening you hear the crunching sound of every breath you exhale that is freezing instantly in the ambient below 50C...I think you would like it, at least for a couple of days. At the end, it's still the home is where your heart belongs. We all love our home!!! How true!
21st August 2016

Silence up here is more silent than silent
Beautifully written comment Tab. I always knew you get it. The experience is fulfilling the dream. The blog and the pics means I will always remember and be able to re-live it. A longer explore of Canada is definitely on our radar.
21st August 2016

Welcome home!!!
It's a good thing that Denise posted on Facebook, or I would have thought you decided to stay in Chile! It really is an amazing country; barren like Australia, but as you say, different colors.
21st August 2016

Welcome home!!!
Thanks Bob. The blogs of that fabulous trip now done. Our time staying in your mountain kingdom also etched in stone! Hope you re-live it also.
24th August 2016

more silent than silent
I'm missing that kind of silence right now sitting on my office desk. What a great way to end a fun journey. I love the rock formations in the desert. I've always wanted to come close to one but I only just see them from afar while driving on a highway.
24th August 2016

more silent than silent
Hi Harold. I think the rock formations are the remains of rocks spewed from volcanoes or bits of volcanic walls or plugs. Then there are some areas covered with small flat stones, others with sand. Maybe once ocean or lake floors uplifted over the eons. Helps one take it in with the colours, light and silence of altitude. Hope you can make it there one day. You'd love it.
16th September 2016

Absolutely Stunning!
Your photos have blown me away... It makes me want to be there right this minute. Another great blog. I can't believe you've both been on the road for 10 weeks, I'm a little envious :)
17th September 2016

Absolutely Stunning!
Always had the Atacama Desert at the top of my wish list Alan, and when you consider photos only give a taste...wow. wish I was still there now! Glad I have maybe planted a seed. Now you are blogging Peru...maybe Bolivia and Chile can tempt you back to South America. Enjoy!
25th September 2016

Referral
I loved reading your stories and seeing the pictures. Can you please share the name and information of your guide, Mario, for the desert in chile? We are going to chile in December and would like a guide that's well knowledged and would show us some unique sights in additions to the originals. Thank you!
27th September 2016

Referral
I'll find his card and message you. Gotta say we booked a private tour and the rewards for doing so cannot be measured.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb