Pucon de Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Villarrica Volcano
April 21st 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nine hours south of Santiago is Pucon, a mecca for adventure sports.

The town sits at the foot of the Villaricca volcano, an active volcano. At 4am on our first night, the town´s siren went off. We thought we were in a real life Dante´s Peak! But it turned out to be the summoning of the town´s volunteer firefighters.

We can now say that we have climbed a volcano, an active one at that! Having had no previous climbing experience, we were a bit phased about what lay ahead. Crampons, what the .... are crampons?!

Every time you look at the top you think "Ach, i´ll be there in a jiffy," but no, it´s another two hours! As we reached the summit finally, the putrid odour emanating from the massive crater choked us. However, the thick fumes cleared for a moment, allowing us to edge forward and peer inside, downwards, far far below.

There was little time for contemplation but the sense of satisfaction at what we had just done was tangible.

We would not be descending the volcano in the most conventional manner. Strap this nappy thing to your rear end and slide down! We were told to use the pick axe to dig in if we were going too fast, but i missed that bit! As Ailie was picking herself up, i would come roaring down and take her legs out from under her. She was not happy. I could not stop laughing.

Would not change any of this!

Good times!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Almost there...we thinkAlmost there...we think
Almost there...we think

It doesnt look that far but its another couple of hours
The craterThe crater
The crater

Ryan aaaaahhhh Ryan dont go to close....aaaaahhhhh!
HaircutHaircut
Haircut

Ryan about to get a much needed haircut


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb