Day 28 - Volcanic Hot Springs


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
April 19th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After getting up at 5:30am in the hope of a volcano climb, we started the day with disappointment due to the continual rain. Our tour guide had said two days here was essential as it tends to rain one day and shine the next. We played cards to fill the time before heading to the centre to explore Pucon town and get fitted for equipment ready for climbing the next day. On the walk, others in the group spotted another volcano climb service provider at just two thirds of the price. Sophie was nominated to attempt some negotiation in Spanish with the "Kumuka recommended" provider, but the guy was an arsehole and having none of it. So we booked with our new, friendly agency instead.

In the afternoon the group headed to volcanic hot springs - terma spas - to chill out or warm up despite the rain. Taking our own alcohol added to the atmosphere. Bit hot for me after a couple of hours, but I think Sophie loved it.... Bath Spa eat your heart out.

In the evening my group cooked up steak and mash which definitely went down very well.. bring on the volcano!

How Sophie Sees It

After what I thought was a good attempt at negotiating in Spanish, the Kumuka recommended guy patronised and offended me. All he could do to promote his own tour guides over his competitors was to bad mouth the other companies. Thinking this was very unprofessional and after a few clues that lead us to believe Kumuka got a cut of our money if we used this agency, the group went for the cheaper company. This was frowned upon by our tour guide who gave us the cold shoulder for the rest of the day - one of the many examples of her lack of professionalism. We later debated her ability to really make recommendations on who we spend our money with, seeing as she has never done the volcano climb, or indeed most of the activities she sends us off on. After the stress of the morning, the hot springs and Pisco Sour was much welcomed, and very enjoyable. Chris and I are looking forward to travelling independently and having some freedom!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb