La Serena -> Antofagasta


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Antofagasta Region » Antofagasta
November 1st 2011
Published: December 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Lazy morning as there wasn’t much to do in La Serena. I walked to a lookout point in Parque Santa Lucia in the north part of town. La Serena isn’t much to look at but there is an army regimen there with an old tank and some canons on display. An army guy said something to me but I had no clue what he said. Thankfully smiling is a universal language and he smiled back.

We boarded the Tucan overland bus shortly after 2 pm. It’s a massive vehicle and actually quite a luxurious ride. As we drove out of town everyone was looking at us. By 8 pm we got to the town of Caldera looking to get something to eat. It was hard to maneuver the vehicle around town and we ended up at a supermarket. I had some empanada pinto. It seems to be standard fare in Chile, with beef, onion, ¼ to ½ egg and a single olive. We kept going after everyone loaded up on food and snacks. I sat up in the front and talked to our transplanted New Zealand driver Ritchie before we stopped in the middle of nowhere for some tea and coffee. The sky was clear and we could see Jupiter and quite a few other stars I don’t know the names of. We kept going and got to Antofagasta at 4 am where we checked into a hotel and quickly fell asleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tucan overland busTucan overland bus
Tucan overland bus

Our sweet ride to Antofogasta


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb