Stay up late and wake up early... be Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
February 8th 2010
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

From Rio

Our 24 hour bus pulled up to the wild and crazy bus station and Sarah and I pulled ourselves out looking bright eyed watching our every move. The stories and the wishes of care from everyone to us we taken very seriously before arriving to Rio, but the impression that we have gotten since visiting has been something a little more soft hearted.

We have had the most amazing opportunity to stay with a friend here in Rio Brazil, exploring Ipanema and Copacabana beach daily amongst ourselves and being shuttled between beautiful longboarding parks with the statue of open armed christ in near view. With Sand of white sugar, unlike anything I have ever seen, statues, beaches, people, and of course music, I have been blown away beyond words by this wonderful city.

Sunday morning and we were up at 8am to experience our first Bloco. This block party was a somewhat family affair where everyone from 2 months to 90years was dressed up in some kind of outrageous costume of fantasy and in unison everyone screamed the words of the Brazillian celebration. I did everthing I could to blend in... la la laalalalala.... I think it worked. We followed the truck blaring music and danced with the beats of the marching bands along with the thousands of other people down the streets in the blistering 41 degree weather for about 5 hours. Its unbelievable that this is just a pre-carnival celebration, we still have a week to go! I unfortunatly am leaving this glorious city tomorrow morning, en-route to Peru. It seems as though this country is not designed for the budget traveller as Carnival is not either, and I decided to save some money and continue on with my adventure on the other side of the continent.

As I was saying before, we have been so lucky with our stay in Rio. On day two we ventured to the North Zone and picked up tickets to a real Brazillian football game! Its absolutly wild experiencing this religious game in the heart and soul of Brazil. We spectated a match between the less popular of the teams here in Rio, good for us though as the bleachers were somewhat empty and the crowds were somewhat time. In this, the fireworks and booing, upside down banners, and horns only came from one section of the Maracana Stadium instead of from every seat. Botofogas fans were on the rampage as their beloved players had been on a losing streak and this does not sit well with the crowd. Thank goodness they one this match that we attended and none of the players were hunted down after the game. The energy and the pride carried in this sport is like nothing I can ever explain.

With the many days at the beach in our wonderful brazilian bikinis and ice cold bramas, I will most definatly hold this diverse and challenged city very dear to my heart. The beauty mixed with the adrenaline rush of the chaos and the police presence with machine guns the size of a hockey stick molds this city to become something out of a story book. Crime is present, corruption is un mistakable, but the diversity shines through and Rio rates a 2 on the best city ever list. Right below home.

This new journey to the jungle wet lands of Peru should be wonderful and interesting all at the same time.
With Machu Picchu being closed for another 3 weeks due to severe landslides Im not sure If I will get a chance to make it up the trek before I meet the family in Belize in March. I guess we will just play it by ear.

Until the Alpacas
xxooxxx Mish

Advertisement



8th February 2010

Sad to see you leave Brazil
Oi Michelle I am sad to see you leave Brazil. I have been following your wonderful journal and have shared it through Twitter, Facebook, and my own site. Obrigada for sharing this amazing experience with us. I look forward to learning about Peru!

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb