Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
July 9th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rio, Rio, Rio,

The famous statue overlooking Rio de Janeiro.
BRAZIL

RIO DE JANEIRO;

It was a clear afternoon. We grabbed the cameras and went for a photo session. A very steep climb of 710 meters on the tram. Inside the tram, the seating is sectional, in a step form, so passengers are not seated at an angle position. The Corcavado as it's known to the locals, Cristo Redentor . This statue is a huge grey concrete structure. Duplicating it's image with outstretched arms, we jockeyed for mug shots. This been the city's most visited attraction. An image of catholicism teaming over this thrill-seeking city, as the mist descended around us. The left arm points to the north of the city, where the Maracana stadium and the international airport are located. The right arm extended towards the suburbs of Jardim Botanico, Gavea and the horse racetrack. Ipanema and Leblon beyond. Out front of the statue is the beautiful Pao de Acucar peak, about three hundred meters below. We sat on all sides viewing this compact metropolis of seven million inhabitants. Mountains, sand and sea combined, are a recipe for charm and splendour..........

CARNIVAL;



From the metro station to the sambodromo [carnival
Rio carnivalRio carnivalRio carnival

We had ringside seats
route], a continuous pedestrian jam. 'Coo-caa coo-laa, cerveja, aqua' was the common chant, a sea of vendors; Burgers, sausages, onion and chips are frying. A dark haired shirtless local flipping the meat. A grandmother sitting next to a marlboro dominated table. Honey smelling roasted nuts.

Ice-cream in a cooler, cerveja in a bin full of ice. Corn-on-the-cob sitting on a wire mesh over a burning flame. Regular Cariocas making income. About fifteen in our group, no one was straying, aware that foreigners are possible targets.

The show begins at 8p.m. A competition of fourteen samba schools, over two nights. Each one taking more more than one hour to complete the half-mile cat-walk extravaganza.

SAO PAULO;



Sao Paulo, the world's most populated city in the southern hemisphere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

St. Patrick's daySt. Patrick's day
St. Patrick's day

Celebrating at Finnegan's bar in Sao Paulo.
SambadromoSambadromo
Sambadromo

Fourteen samba school teams compete over two nights.
Carnival partyCarnival party
Carnival party

Mixing with the Cariocas.
Foz Iguacu waterfallsFoz Iguacu waterfalls
Foz Iguacu waterfalls

On Brazil--Argentina border. Biggest in the world, no kidding.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb