Rio de Janeiro


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
February 4th 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Landing approach into RioLanding approach into RioLanding approach into Rio

One advantage of a private charter is that one can get the opportunity to join the cockpit.
Rio de Janeiro Brazil October 26 to 29, 2006

Our flight from Cape Town to Rio took about 12 hours with a 1 hour refueling stop at Ascension Island on the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean. Ascension Island is British Military Base that during the Falkland Island conflict with Argentina was the busiest airport in the world. We were the first commercial jet that was allowed to disembark in the past 16 years. One advantage to a military base is no taxes, so a coke cost only $0.35.

There are about 7 million people in Rio or close to 25% of the population of Canada. You cannot but notice the slums in Rio since frequently they are side-by-side with those of an affluent neighborhood. As bad as they are, they are upscale to those we saw in South Africa.

On the 27th we took a helicopter ride over a number of Rio’s famous beaches landing on Urca Hill (the lower portion of Sugar Loaf Mountain) and then took a cable car to the top of the mountain. The next day we were off to take the cog wheel train to the top of Corcovada Mountain where the
Christ the RedeemerChrist the RedeemerChrist the Redeemer

There is a narrow gage railway that one takes to the top of Corcovado Mountain 2400 feet above the city where the 125 statue of Christ the Redeemer is located.
statue of Christ the Redeemer is located. Between these two destinations we participated in a gala dinner and a private Carnival show, and naturally Mare had me visit a gem factory-store. For the guys, the female dancers at the show lived up to the billing for Rio, and for the ladies, the male dancers likewise lived up to your expectations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sugar Loaf MountainSugar Loaf Mountain
Sugar Loaf Mountain

We had a tour by helicopter of the city and its famous beach districts. The helicopter landed on the Urca Hill of Sugar Loaf mountain from which we took a cable car to the top.
Carnival ShowCarnival Show
Carnival Show

The show was terrfic, and if the performers were beautiful.


Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb