Carnaval Explained (NS)


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro
February 24th 2006
Published: March 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

car2car2car2

Banda Ipanema Drag Queens
There are many facets to Carnaval, it is not like Notting Hill Carnival where there is one procession down a determined route. Things are not organised in Brazil not even the time always makes sense. (Look out for later update.) The main parts are the Blocos and The Sambodrome Parade.

There are many Blocos that parade around various parts of the city. The Blocos have a name and a theme such as Banda De Ipanema. Ipanema is a predominantly gay area so the Banda De Ipanema Bloco has a gay and transvestite theme. The Bloco consists of a few musicians playing Samba on top of a float, followed by lots of gay, transvesite and straight followers all dancing and following the float. Anyone is free to join any Bloco they choose but are encouraged to wear the Blocos colours or in the case of Banda Ipanema, dress up. There are many Blocos performing throughout the city at any one time, the main Bloco being about 50 people with up to a few thousdand followers.

The Samba competition takes place at the Sambodrome, a purpose built arena in the centre of town. If you see glitzy pictures of Carnaval, this
car3car3car3

What do you mean....
is where they are from. 14 groups compete over 2 nights to win the competition which is taken as seriously as the football is over here.

In addition to the above nightclubs host extravagent parties (balls) and there is live music everywhere, including the famous Sambaland and Rio Folia - where bands play on two stages all night over the whole carnaval period . There is also a band compeition on the saturday night in the centre of town. Every-where you go there is something happening, you canĀ“t fail to miss it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

car1car1
car1

....Banda Ipanema Followers are extroverts??!!
car4car4
car4

The Sambadrome
car5car5
car5

The lead dancer at a parade
car6car6
car6

The lime green area shows just one section out of about 15!


7th March 2006

Now I understand..
so the Girl From Ipanema isn't really a 'girl' at all.....

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb