Rio - Christ the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro
January 29th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After chilling out for a few days we decided it was time to do something. The weather has been a bit poor and we wanted to utilise some clear blue skies to add to the already magnificent landmarks that Rio has to offer. Today wasn't too bad... sunny with a few clouds and after days of chilling out, it was time to start seeing some sights.

After waking up around lunch and having breakfast we caught a taxi down to the bottom of the statue. It costs 45 reias to take the train up, of which 8 is for a bus to take you to the top and 7 is for entry.

The Christ statue is bigger than i thought, it stands about 40 metres high and overlooks the massive city that is Rio. It is apparently one of the man made 7 wonders of the world... another one off my list. We caught the train up and stopped off at view point to take some pictures of the city. At the entrance, we passed through the security barriers and started the ascent to the top. I had some reservations about the climb, especially with my dodgy knees but would you believe it..ESCALATORS... They really have pulled out all the stops for one of Rios most famous landmarks. It started to get a bit cloudy at this point but never the less this wasn't going to ruin my experience with Jebus.

After wondering around taking pictures like Japanese tourists for about 30 minutes... enough was enough. Taking in the amazing views of Rio was something of a calming experience in this manic city. I haven't really had time for reflection, but sitting up with Jebus looking down makes you think...

Sugar Loaf



It was time to head to Sugar Loaf mountain to take in more magnificant views of Rio. Sugar loaf, its name is said to refer to its resemblance to the traditional shape of concentrated refined loaf sugar. The sumit stands at about 400m above sea level. We took a glass-paneled cable car, which is capable of holding 75 passengers, along a 1400-metre route between the peaks of Pão de Açúcar and Cara de Cão. These depart around every 20 minutes.

The sunset views from the top are somthing to savour, hope you enjoy the pics although they do it no justice at all.

Also if you flick through the photos there are some pictures of Lapa, Lapa steps where the pharrell and Snoop video was shot and a couple of Copacobana beach. Enjoy.....





Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb