Rio de Janeiro


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro
August 22nd 2007
Published: September 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We decided to leave Ilha Grande as soon as the weather took a down turn. This way we would have more time in Rio. Accommodation is so expensive in Rio in comparison to the rest of South America. I really wanted to rent an apartment - you can get some beautiful apartments in good locations for a fraction of the price of staying in a hostel or hotel. We arrived too late in Rio to move in, and Sanj concluded that 3 nights wasn’t worth the hassle of deposits etc. I begged to differ.

We stayed in Copacabana, the famous area in Rio for parties and people. We were two blocks away from the 4km stretch of beach. Our first day wasn’t very productive, - when the weather is gloomy, you don’t feel like doing anything except mope and eat.

Lots of people had told us about how great the Favela tour was. At the time I thought it was just another tourist scam aimed at exploitation, the only good being had was the tourists ‘feeling good about themselves’ that they have done their bit for the underprivileged, having spent a couple of hours in said poverty-stricken neighbourhood. I’m not sure how I feel now but it would have been interesting to gain an insight into the lives of these people the government considers as pests. We saw many favelas from the viewpoint at Christ, poor quality housing cramped and crowded clinging onto the hillside. It was so ironic to see side by side, a stone throw’s away, the rich apartments and penthouses of Rio’s elite. What a contrast.

Rio is said to be one of the most violent cities in the world, with a homicide rate of nearly 80 deaths per week, comparable to war zones such as Kabul or Baghdad. With this in mind, it did kind of mar our first moments in Rio, constantly having to be on guard. But having got used to our neighbourhood, we realised that Rio has a wonderful vibe with one of the most friendly people in the world. Of course we were vigilant and did not carry bags around with us at night, but we caught local buses, walked around in the evenings, went to the bars in Lapa and were absolutely fine.

We crammed quite a bit into 4 days, seeing Sugar Loaf Mountain (beautiful views f the city and of sunset), Christ the Redeemer on Corcadova mountain (again spectacular views and incredible architecture - that thing is huge!) and the high class Ipanema suburb. We also watched a football match between Rio’s top team Bogota and a second to last team which I have forgotten the name of. The vibe in Maracana stadium is incredible. The 80,000 capacity was by no means full, but despite this, fans were screaming, dancing, instrument playing, even before goals had been scored! I was more interested in the fans’ antics rather than the game itself.

Oh and the nightlife! Make sure you visit Lapa in the weekend - what a vibe! Come 1am people are dancing on the streets, happy and merry. The most interesting place I have been to people watch. The most beautiful city in the world, with the most beautiful people of the world. Classic phrase by Sanj ‘I’ve never seen so much hot totty anywhere in the world!’ ‘You can look babe, just no touch!’





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb